Eucalyptus Tree dying off after pollarding??

Julie123

Question

A year January I had my huge beautiful Eucalyptus tree reduced due to being to close to house. 

Sadly, it seems to be dying off.

I may have made a mistake in allowing it to have such a harsh reduction..

Anyone hopeful that it may recover this year ? 

Many thanks! 

20240125_112558.jpg

20240125_112552.jpg

20240125_112600.jpg

20220629_145019.jpg

I think fire is an integral part of the lifecycle for some eucalyptus.

Might be worth building a bonfire around what's left of that tree to see if that kicks it back into life.

I've never heard of fire applied to a tree as being part of Euc lifecycle (doesn't mean it doesn't happen) but certainly some species need fire to open their seed capsules - gum nuts - to release the seed within

59 minutes ago, nepia said:

I've never heard of fire applied to a tree as being part of Euc lifecycle (doesn't mean it doesn't happen) but certainly some species need fire to open their seed capsules - gum nuts - to release the seed within

I was told the fire related strategy was to do with the seedling establishing a root system such that the shoot could be killed off by wildfire which flashed through but the root would survive and this may happen a number of times, the root becoming better established each time. Until finally it could send up a shoot high enough to be above the flames with the stem protected by the bark.

This was supposed to explain the poor stability of gum trees planted here when the stem grew away quicker than the root, meaning it was poorly anchored. The chap that told me this said his method was to coppice the tree for a few times before selecting a stem to grow on.

• Like 5