The wonders of Google Maps. And adipophilia.

sime42

58 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I mean she’s no Fiona Bruce, but from behind, in a dark cave.

Dont judge me!

IMG_3412.webp

No Fred Flinstone but you’d make her Bedrock. 

I will see myself out. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Just seems such an odd thing to spend all day arguing about.

Modern diet is genuinely interesting to me.

Its only an argument when people can't keep things constructive. I was attempting to debate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

I like the taste of lamp, pork, beef and some sea food. Nuff said, no mission  deviation. 

Me too, absolutely love the stuff, and if the practices used to produce it weren't so harmful to the planet and every living thing on it, I'd feel more comfortable eating more of it. But they are, so I limit my intake. 

On that point though, farmed oysters and mussels are generally considered a net plus for the planet at the moment on account of them cleaning the waters from our river estuaries on its way out to sea, and removing carbon  from seawater dissolved from the atmosphere and turning into shells at a remarkably efficient pace. I'm sure I don't have to remind the enlightened congregation here that ocean acidification as a result of an excess of dissolved carbon caused by rampant CO2 levels in the atmosphere will one day, if left unchecked, render the seas inhospitable to life and incapable of producing the vast majority of the oxygen we breathe.

So do your bit to save the planet, and our lives: drop steak night and Sunday roast beef, and replace them with moules frites and oysters baked in garlic butter and breadcrumbs. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stere said:

Some people who eat meat every day often  seem to be fussy eaters who only like plain food.

Meat & 2 boiled vegs etc is ok but gets old every day.

But on the other hand you get vegans who seem to mostly eat  a load  fake meat rubbish & quorn & don't cook much veg recipes.

I have l veg plot so a  chest freezer full of runner beans french beans broad beans & tomatoes& other vegs. Bit sick of the beans but beans always are so productive and the crop never fails. Im sure alot of tradition diets worldwide were heavy on the beans. Broad beans  grown in UK in since iron age yet Lidl don't sell them theyprobaby do in Waitrose?. Runner bean has to be possibly the most productive crop that exists per land area? Grew a shit load of butternut sqaush also so being having squash soup all the time this winter.

Bags of spuds to use up before they sprout & shed full of stored apples.

Use to have the freezer full of lamb as well before the local home kill butcher got run over now don't keep sheep anymore.

How do you go about freezing your beans? They've not come out very good when I've tried with french beans in the past. I normally wait for the glut to fully ripen and then keep the dried beans.

5 hours ago, peds said:

On that point though, farmed oysters and mussels are generally considered a net plus for the planet at the moment on account of them cleaning the waters from our river estuaries on its way out to sea, and removing carbon  from seawater dissolved from the atmosphere and turning into shells at a remarkably efficient pace. I'm sure I don't have to remind the enlightened congregation here that ocean acidification as a result of an excess of dissolved carbon caused by rampant CO2 levels in the atmosphere will one day, if left unchecked, render the seas inhospitable to life and incapable of producing the vast majority of the oxygen we breathe.

I eat meat but don't like a lot on my plate as I prefer a lot of vegetables.

I used to walk along Penclawdd beach in north Gower, it is entirely made up of sea shells and the shell fish catch must have been huge. At the same time a mate was doing his degree in marine biology and sampling shells, in the Tawe estuary, for their heavy metal content. At the time he reckoned the shells were getting within 10% of an ore grade worth refining. He also figured an increase of one part per million of lead in the sea had a dramatic negative affect on shell fish.

The sea, like the fluid in our bodies, has to remain faintly alkaline, the more it gets toward neutral the less able crustaceans are to fix carbon to carbonate. The more CO2 dissolved in sea water the more carbonic acid. Surface waters are in equilibrium with the atmosphere with regard to carbon dioxide in the ratio 45:55.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tend to find runner beans freeze better than french, also I compost, or leave for seed, anything even remotely stringy. I can highly recommend runner bean seeds dried, then soaked and cooked like other dried beans, and used in soups, chillies etc.

Anyone mention snails yet, a good source of food and often plentiful...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

I tend to find runner beans freeze better than french, also I compost, or leave for seed, anything even remotely stringy. I can highly recommend runner bean seeds dried, then soaked and cooked like other dried beans, and used in soups, chillies etc.

Anyone mention snails yet, a good source of food and often plentiful...

Maybe I should give runners a second chance then. Sacked them off years ago because they're a bit course in comparison to French or Borlotti type beans.

I eat pretty much everything and will give anything a go at least once but I've never been at all impressed by snails. Happy to be educated though if you've got a secret recipe for the chewy little buggers ..........