The wonders of Google Maps. And adipophilia.

sime42

Boiled hard in water, drained, then braised low and slow with chorizo and chicken stock is a very good method; as is braised, shredded, and mixed with herbs and ricotta for stuffing into ravioli. 

(That's minus the shells for both, obviously. )

Snails should be foraged live, then kept in a box and fed carrot for five days then starved for five days before you want to eat them.

I am allergic to cheap imported Chinese snails which are probably farmed using absolutely terrifying methods,  like much of their agriculture, but I have no reaction whatsoever to decent European snails.

Edited by peds
  • Thanks 1

Nice one, you've sold them well, I'll give you that. I'll be out with a bucket, torch and chorizo as soon as the weather warms up!

I imagine them to be high in protein, low in fat. If anyone has ever bothered to analyse them that is.

Very high in protein, vitamins, and minerals, low fat and calories. Oysters, however, offer all of this and more, but with a much higher fat content, including that good omega-3, so I'd always rather have the oysters if there's a choice available. 

I have not cooked snails in the following methods, but they work very well with oysters: pumpkin, sage, oyster and cider stew; oyster chowder of sweated mirapoix with chopped oysters and potatoes, herbs, stock, water, milk, or a mix, half blended and half left chunky then recombined; oyster omelette with green herbs; wrapped in seaweed and baked until they pop open; grilled with garlic butter on toast; and in a chicken oyster, oyster, and oyster mushroom cream sauce for mash or tagliatelle.

Theoretically, all of these work for snails too, after a hard boil and a slow braise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Nice one, you've sold them well, I'll give you that. I'll be out with a bucket, torch and chorizo as soon as the weather warms up!

I imagine them to be high in protein, low in fat. If anyone has ever bothered to analyse them that is.

Nothing wrong with a high fat content though. As i see it a high protein, high fat and low carb diet is the most natural thing for us.

Carbs should be unprocessed and protien/fat should be animal sourced. 

13 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Nothing wrong with a high fat content though. As i see it a high protein, high fat and low carb diet is the most natural thing for us.

Carbs should be unprocessed and protien/fat should be animal sourced. 

Agree with all of that except the last bit. Maybe it's a could but not a should.

The Innuit diet is an interesting one; it's virtually completely carnivorous and they do well on it. Very high fat too .They eat a lot of fishy stuff as well though obviously. Horses for courses; they probably burn a lot of that fat intake just to stay warm. That diet probably wouldn't work in warmer climes.

I think the most important debate is processed vs. unprocessed food, not meat vs. non-meat.

1 hour ago, sime42 said:

Agree with all of that except the last bit. Maybe it's a could but not a should.

The Innuit diet is an interesting one; it's virtually completely carnivorous and they do well on it. Very high fat too .They eat a lot of fishy stuff as well though obviously. Horses for courses; they probably burn a lot of that fat intake just to stay warm. That diet probably wouldn't work in warmer climes.

I think the most important debate is processed vs. unprocessed food, not meat vs. non-meat.

It works fine in any clime. When you cut out carbs your body resorts to burning fat as a fuel source, so you need a pretty high fat content to maintain body weight. Burning fat also keeps energy levels pretty constant as opposed to the energy peaks and dips with burning carbs. Your insulin levels are pretty constant too which is a great benefit for diabetics.

• Like 1