More doom and gloom

16 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

There does seem to be a growing movement of Anti Woodburners going on , I regularly see articles about it , often grossly exaggerated claims , but it is hard to disprove once they are said ...I am moving house soon to one without a woodburner and not too sure of I will fit one ...

What are you afraid of, a tar feather on your door ?.

Next you'll be telling people you're a gardener because you don't want to be publicly shunned like a leper.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

Just now, maybelateron said:

Does anyone else remember a childhood with lots of garden bonfires? 

Ee by gum those were the days. 

I remember when burning up your arisings from tree work was commonplace.

Leylandii used to smoke a bit!

Banning of wood burners would be a very hard sell here, so many houses use them, so much easy to process standing chestnut.

can’t see it happening in my lifetime,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

What are you afraid of, a tar feather on your door ?.

Next you'll be telling people you're a gardener because you don't want to be publicly shunned like a leper.

Not afraid of anything , just not sure the cost will be justified , as well as potential hassle / restrictions going forward .

I don't think you should be allowed a stove or fireplace in any kind of urban area. If you're out in the sticks, hundreds of metres from your neighbours, burn away.

I feel sorry for people living in the closest urban centre to me, where burning coal, peat, and wet wood is still the done thing. Air quality is terrible. 

This isn't the 1700s, we've moved on. 

I'll be fitting a stove this summer hopefully, of course.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

Not afraid of anything , just not sure the cost will be justified , as well as potential hassle / restrictions going forward .

As with all regulations you can't regulate something that's been fitted within the rules.

Providing you fit a DEFRA exempt fire you should be fine. I see the only realistic thing they could do is expand the smoke control areas, other than that there's zero chance of banning wood burning.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, peds said:

I don't think you should be allowed a stove or fireplace in any kind of urban area. If you're out in the sticks, hundreds of metres from your neighbours, burn away.

I wouldn't argue with that. There's plenty of people in urban areas using open fires or non-smoke controlled stoves burning things for effect. I was advising one relative about how to sort out sooty glass as the fire is never burnt hot, just used for a look.

But there's also loads of people still having bonfires, building sites burning all sorts, farms burning silage wrap etc. Much of which isn't legal but nothing is done, so I can't see the point of asking for more bans. 

Having said that, as someone who's wood burner is fairly essential I've always though I need to get a replacement sorted within five years before new ones are banned from sale. I might seriously consider buying a 2nd as a spare.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

There does seem to be a growing movement of Anti Woodburners going on , I regularly see articles about it , often grossly exaggerated claims , but it is hard to disprove once they are said ...I am moving house soon to one without a woodburner and not too sure of I will fit one ...

Install two to make a point. 

1 hour ago, richyrich said:

If the govt wants to ban/outlaw anything then give life imprisonment to all the tw@ts that burn plastic on bonfires. My pet fu¢king hate.

What's wrong with that? The alternative is lorries running round collecting it. Steel, rubber, lead and acid, brake pads etc. And the people who drive the lorries have to drive to work. Same for the people who make the lorries etc. They could all stay at home and write poems instead. 

• Haha 1