More doom and gloom

I would like to know if someone is doing proper research, or at least fact checking on behalf of the firewood and stove industry.

As has been said there seems to be a quite powerful movement against all forms of solid fuel burning right now.  Some of it no doubt is justified, but some is undoubtedly nothing more than hyperbole.

Anyone got any links to websites giving some real facts?  I for one do not believe that a modern wood burner burning dry wood produces as much emissions as 750 HGV diesel vehicles.  That is a stat I have heard quoted a lot recently.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Its all about fuel quality and burning dry wood.  If you burn wood that has been split and seasoned...

...until it is below 20%, which only takes a summer in a covered well ventilated store, it burns cleanly in a flaming stove.

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Anyone got any links to websites giving some real facts?  I for one do not believe that a modern wood burner burning dry wood produces as much emissions as 750 HGV diesel vehicles.

https://stoveindustryalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/22-01-31-The-contribution-of-domestic-outdoor-burning-to-UK-particulate-matter-emissions.pdf

A long read and biased toward ecodesign stove sales but one measure is 2.1gram of pm2.5 per kilo of wood burned in a ecodesign stove on average. I have no idea what a modern HGV emits but it will have a particulate filter. What are these 750 HGVs doing, idling or working?

Quick Google

A Defra report completed by Kantar shows on average stove users light their appliance for 29hr a week, so around 3.7hr and 4.5hr a day in the winter. In reflection, an HGV can be driven by the same driver for 9hr a day, all year round. Stoves mainly are only ever used in autumn and winter. Over the course of a week, a typical stove will emit 20.16g of PM2.5. A Euro 6 HGV will emit 271g of PM2.5 – so around 13 times the amount of a stove.

• Like 1

It is the claims that the PM2.5 particles in the house of a woodburner are so high as to be a serious health risk that bewilders me , if this is the case are there high levels of illness / health problems with owners directly attributable to the woodburner ??  

47 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Quick Google

A Defra report completed by Kantar shows on average stove users light their appliance for 29hr a week, so around 3.7hr and 4.5hr a day in the winter. In reflection, an HGV can be driven by the same driver for 9hr a day, all year round. Stoves mainly are only ever used in autumn and winter. Over the course of a week, a typical stove will emit 20.16g of PM2.5. A Euro 6 HGV will emit 271g of PM2.5 – so around 13 times the amount of a stove.

Yes, it looks as if the 750 times more emissions is actually a reference to the allowable limits on emissions; not on actual emissions.

The other stat is that household burning of solid fuel is now the greatest contributor to particulate emissions, and about double that of transport.  This i believe is where this whole new movement is coming from.  Can this be true?

Yes but stoves are an easy target, a few old farts and country types getting agitated to the point where we are all forced to use government controlled mainstream fuel sources...gas, oil and electricity...preferably electricity and heat pumps although electricity is 4 times more expensive than gas, big incentive!!! whereas banning lorries....how would we shift the cheap crap imports from our ports to our distribution network and beyond that would piss off too many people.

Nothing like going for the easy targets that give nothing rather than the large ones that would be far more difficult to achieve....air travel is one.

Perhaps government should tax log burners....now there is a thought.:(

• Like 1

If they do ban wood burners I will simply build myself the next one, that will probably be less efficient than what is currently available and say up yours to them. We have no mains supply of any energy so what else can I do? We heat our place inc hot water and cooking with wood. 

• Like 3