Ideas on what do with coppiced willow

Morris

Hello forum. 

I use willow to process waste water on my glamping site. Happy to talk about my set up in further posts for anybody interested but basically the time has come to coppice it. I'm new to this and looking for ideas on what to do with it all. I'm told I'll end up with several cubic meters of it (planted around 1200 of them). 

I was wondering what might be the best use for them. Am I better to try and use them for chippings, mulch, firewood etc or do they have any commercial value? Would they be something I could sell and if so who to for how much etc? They are equal plantings of Tora, Stott, and A. 

Any tips or advice much appreciated!

IMG_0725.heic IMG_0729.heic

Edited by Morris
  • Like 1

My view - too small to be used as 'logs' so a branch logger as suggested perhaps the best way. You can make money from them otherways, however do you have the time to do anything with it, or just 'get them out the way quick' type of thing?

(might be you look at turning them into charcoal - get someone in to do this, sell it onward to the glamping, or just as it comes, probably able to cut them up to lengths and flog lengths of wood as 'artists materials' - basket weaving perhaps, but with all of this it adds time and effort for an unknown return. Id go "Turn into smaller branches and burn")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Artists charcoal - willow is the favoured material as the resulting charcoal is soft and good to work with.

The wood does need peeling when green, so obviously more labour intensive but can sell for reasonable money is you have an outlet for it.

Edited by Puffingbilly413
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1