Shocked at the chemists!!!

PeteB

8 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Bleedin hell, who pissed on your chips!

It's about kids getting one decent meal a day. If the house is on fire you don't start asking who's fault it is, who's making money out of it you pot the fire out and ask questions later. 

This is the UK, kids should not be going hungry, if a free school meal helps reduce that then that's good news imo. Maybe some of the parents are idiots who didn't think it through or maybe a partner died or just fcked off, or they just fell on bad times, who knows. As long as the kid isn't the victim because of those circumstances then that's all that matters imo.

I think the point you are missing is we have been debating feeding ALL children in primary school.  The poorest already get free school meals and have done for decades.

28 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I think the point you are missing is we have been debating feeding ALL children in primary school.  The poorest already get free school meals and have done for decades.

Ahh right, I think you're missing the point. The reason they want to give all kids free meals is because there are kids that aren't entitled to school meals but would benefit from them. Plus the stigma and negative effects associated with getting free meals and therefore being poor etc,etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mesterh said:

Ahh right, I think you're missing the point. The reason they want to give all kids free meals is because there are kids that aren't entitled to school meals but would benefit from them. Plus the stigma and negative effects associated with getting free meals and therefore being poor etc,etc. 

Well, yes I suppose we would all welcome even more handouts.  Trouble is it is always at the expense of something else.  And that something else might be providing help for (as an example) a severley autistic kid whose parents really need help.  Because from next year every primary school in Wales will have to make major cuts to apparently already squeezed budgets.

You never know, free (healthy) school meals for all may actually save money in future. In terms of the burden on the NHS of obesity and other diet related health issues. It'd be a pretty innefficient way to achieve that outcome though, arguably much better for the government just to regulate the food industry from a health perspective, rather than just maximum profit to producers. Why not tax the hell out of junk food?

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Young families have the most unhealthy diet of any household group in Britain, research suggests.

Whilst I like your optimism, I don't think it'll save anything, generation wise anyone that left primary school before the 2000s had access to either free or cheap food.

It was only after the 2000s when schools ripped out the kitchens for bought in food or even schools built entirely without kitchens.

Look at most 40 year olds with kids they are obese, it was also ruined with the progressively dire lack of cooking classes in secondary school 2000-2010.

On 10/12/2023 at 18:32, spudulike said:

The only comment on school dinners I have is "What was that Gypsy Tart stuff?

I only had it at school and have never seen it before:hmmmm2:

Kent! I went to school there and had gypsy tart, flippin delicious. Told my wife about it and she thinks I made it up, never seen it anywhere else!