My tree overhanging neighbours land, Can I prune it?

milonic

He said he isnt entering her garden and all branches will be roped and cut then pulled back over his side of the fence. Thats what i read anyway. He's has no need to enter her garden and nothing will land or need to be retrieved from his neighbours side. Only thing that will fall on her side are a few leaves and maybe a handful of chippings....which is what normally happens with trees this time of the year.  Unless i have read the OP wrong. 

Edited by pleasant

The op didn't mention a garden at all, the tree is overhanging a field nowhere near a house.

I'd just do it. In the event of a mistake and something significant ends up on the neighbours property I'd apologise and ask permission for access to remove it. If the neighbour interjects during works politely explain you are entitled to prune your tree.

Garden/field. The fact remains in the OP he isnt even entering her garden/field and nothing he is cutting will need retrieving as he is roping it back to his side. 

'We have no intention of stepping foot on their land and the branches can be rigged, or use a telehandler to get them down safely.'

Edited by pleasant

So is this guy a homeowner or farmer as access to a telehandler suggests farmer ?.

Then to build something new next to a argumentative neighbour with overhanging trees seems very stupid, just to invite problems.

Personally I would say solicitors letter highlighting the risk and leave it alone.

That way it's on file with a third party.

Edited by GarethM

I reduced an ash tree once which overhung the neighbours, huge garden with big old rhodie bushes so not visible from neighbours house. Would have been a hundred times easier to drop stuff on the rough grass his side, but we were rigging everything back in so didn't set foot or even have ropes touching his ground. When he heard work going on he came out effing and blinding, red faced with rage so much I'm not quite sure what he was actually mad about.

Luckily the customer was in his garden so I just pointed him out and the argument quickly moved on to the fence which was falling down and who's fault that was, solicitors letters etc.

If the customer hadn't been there I suppose I'd have had to argue with/placate the bloke but glad I didn't have to. So if you do just go for it be prepared for them to be very cross but not really sure why or what they should do about it.

2 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Life is way too short to be rigging stuff back over a field just because someone is being awkward.

I ve had customers that do not get on with neighbour, I have gone round and asked if we can work from their side and ever time they have said no problem. 

So just find out if you can work or drop stuff and crack on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

I ve had customers that do not get on with neighbour, I have gone round and asked if we can work from their side and ever time they have said no problem. 

Agreed, they hate their neighbours, not you. 
Often a simple friendly request will be enough. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:
4 hours ago, woody paul said:

Agreed, they hate their neighbours, not you. 
Often a simple friendly request will be enough. 

Agreed entirely. It also covers the unlikely scenario that the neighbour is just impossible with everyone and gives you the option to decline the job.