Best way to repair a small hole in a cement roof?

Clutchy

Not wishing to sound smug in any way, but I guess the learning point here is to put some boards on the roof carefully, to avoid just this problem.

Yes - I learnt from making a similar sized hole in a similar roof. Customer was fine, and happy with my repair, which I think was fibreglass on a dry day.

When I did the same it was a noggin 1” diameter by 2” long, I was reducing a beech over the roof, it was an upright piece, and I thought I’ll just feather it through and stop the saw then grab the piece, but it caught the chain and span off the end of the bar like a suitcase off a possessed luggage carousel.

I watched the arc of its fall in horror like Gollum watching his precious falling into Mount Doom, then disappear into the shed through the hole it had created, like the ring being swallowed by the lava.

Moral of the story…

Yes, as mentioned, use boards.

Gareth is an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I guess you have spoken to the home owner, and they are happy with a repair, which kind of negates the insurance thing?

From the above, the area needs to be cleaned - so check inside the shed to make sure you arn't going to be washing their prized possessions too.

if it was me I would fit a bung in the hole (if only you could find a local hole sized piece of wood to cut to length....) and then seal it with whatever I found that looked good - I have a screw hole in the garage roof sealed with I think a screw, washer and tin of bituminous mastik I had inside the garage.

what is the diameter of the hole by the way? Probably too big for that idea but a coach bolt and the largest washers you can find to plug the hole and then seal

Ok thanks for the replies, will have a think, looks like I may have to claim on our insurance 🙃

Ill see what they're happy with. Its a council garage roof and we have no contact with the owner (it isn't any of the houses), so should probably get in contact with the council??? 

Yep, boards in the future, it wasn't even under the canopy of the tree, a peg fell and catapulted off a lower branch. Couldn't repeat it in a million years 😵

2 minutes ago, Clutchy said:

Ok thanks for the replies, will have a think, looks like I may have to claim on our insurance 🙃

Ill see what they're happy with. Its a council garage roof and we have no contact with the owner (it isn't any of the houses), so should probably get in contact with the council??? 

Yep, boards in the future, it wasn't even under the canopy of the tree, a peg fell and catapulted off a lower branch. Couldn't repeat it in a million years 😵

It is worth remembering that the reason the damage happened is probably more to do with the fact the roof is at the end of its life than anything else.  Would a hole have been caused if it was a corrugated steel sheet?  No of course not.  

The chances are the council are planning to re roof or demolish the building at some point in the next few years; though I doubt they would admit that to you.  Near me such council garages have largely been simply removed as they are not being used and are problematic to maintain.

A key question is: is the garage in use?  If not then is it worth worrying about?

It’s more than likely asbestos. The repair is down to what the council wants. When you inform them about the damage stand by for the ground sinking all around you😳. Barriers, reports, hazmat suits, asbestos outfit turning up with mobile decontamination unit, temporary poly sheeting, complete roof removal and re-sheet? That’s the worst that can happen, and don’t think the council will pay for it🤔

6 hours ago, John Shutler said:

is this a serious reply?

"sorry my incompetent employees damaged your perfectly functional roof, but your house insurance will probably cover it. Actually I've done you a favour because if you sell it'll only get picked up in a survey so you might as well reroof it now"

You missed the bit where he was hitting it with a pressure washer, that hole would be a whole lot bigger if a decent pressure washer even looked at it.

• Haha 1