Best way to repair a small hole in a cement roof?

Clutchy

Plus that looks like 3" asbestos cement, circa 1970s. It'll probably all be very brittle as soon as you touch it it'll crack elsewhere.

Might be worth trying contact adhesive with a small patch after a bit of jet washing to remove the moss.

Edited by GarethM

17 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Plus that looks like 3" asbestos cement, circa 1970s. It'll probably all be very brittle as soon as you touch it it'll crack elsewhere.

Might be worth trying contact adhesive with a small patch after a bit of jet washing to remove the moss.

Yes this can be awkward depending on the owner. Having faced this when someone threw a brick through my mother's garage roof the solution that had lasted over 20 years was to gently clean round the area and then apply a torch on high performance felt.

Plus depending on the home owners insurance, it might be worth them claiming weather damage being under the tree and getting it removed and replaced.

If they're planning to sell anytime soon with asbestos causes difficulties and devalues the property.

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Plus depending on the home owners insurance, it might be worth them claiming weather damage being under the tree and getting it removed and replaced.

If they're planning to sell anytime soon with asbestos causes difficulties and devalues the property.

is this a serious reply?

"sorry my incompetent employees damaged your perfectly functional roof, but your house insurance will probably cover it. Actually I've done you a favour because if you sell it'll only get picked up in a survey so you might as well reroof it now"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I would use shaped piece of tin stuck on with CT1 sealer great stuff. 

Stuck a roof tile back together with it on a garage I drop saw on a a temp repair till I got new tile replace it and throw old tile on truck and it didn't brake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clutchy said:

One of the guys dropped a peg through this roof, leaving a small hole. 

Whats the best way to repair/seal? Would fiberglass work? image.thumb.jpeg.a013275a9232e390c9cbaab93a9fe972.jpeg

One more option open to you (as it is very near the lower edge) is to simply insert a steel corrugated sheet under the cement (or asbestos) damaged piece.  You might need to remove one or two fixings at the very lowest edge (with great care as it is clearly brittle) and then slide the steel sheet under and right to the end and support the upper end with a 3X2 or similar fixed at an angle between existing purlins.

Just take great care as this could become a very expensive full roof replacement job if the owner is the sort of person to see this as an opportunity to get something for nothing.

• Like 1