Yell advertising , is it worth it ?

Newtons

On 15/02/2023 at 21:03, Newtons said:

It’s just on there website so if people search “tree surgeons “ in the areas that I cover I’ll come up on the top 5 in the list for the 12 month period,  and yes it is a monthly cost. 
in 18 geographical areas near me,  there was 470 searches last month. 

Don’t waste your money, biggest load of crap ever, best thing to do is develop your own website with a good web development company like Arbtalk media and Steve Bullman, you will get more success and don’t believe the shit that they will have your phone ringing in days! 

I recall years ago when we advertised in the yellow pages book....we also got a free online listing.....which also had a customer review feature online. All was great, until one day we had a guy come in with a newish mower we had sold which he had hit a washing line pole in the ground. Really bad...so much so not only was the blade bent but he had also bent the crank.....it was beyond an economical repair. We informed him as such to which he stated it was under guarantee. We explained accidental damage is not covered to which he replied 'well an engine should be strong enough so if I hit something it shouldn't happen'

We politely pointed out a blade rotating at 200mph and coming to a dead stop within 18" of a cutter deck, something has gotta give.....plus there is no actual grass that grows strong enough for it to be correctly used on,  to bend a blade, let alone a crank.

He wasn't having so took to our review page on yell....together with his family, friends, pet dog etc. I rang yell and said these were malicious and spurious reviews and were damaging our business....i was happy to provide evidence. They weren't interested...they said reviews and feedback are valuable tool for future custom. I said we won't get any future custom, and if we don't get future custom then we won't be advertising. Still not interested....said it was all part and parcel of the yell package we had signed up for....only way to remove it was to not renew when it comes up......so we didn't and soon after yell went belly up...and all our spurious reviews disappeared with them.

Sometimes, services offering a review platform can be counterproductive to said advertising company.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

I have advertised with yel,for the last 10 plus years ,you get 30 call a month at least that are other people trying to sell you something, probably 1-2 jobs  worth having a year I think I pay about £50 a Month ,you get better results from Facebook, yel never leave you alone trying to upsell , I wouldn’t bother with them  if I had my time over 

3 minutes ago, Grassyass said:

I have advertised with yel,for the last 10 plus years ,you get 30 call a month at least that are other people trying to sell you something, probably 1-2 jobs  worth having a year I think I pay about £50 a Month ,you get better results from Facebook, yel never leave you alone trying to upsell , I wouldn’t bother with them  if I had my time over 

Begs the question why are you still advertising with them?

• Like 4