Slate hearth installed over existing carpet

Advice needed please, we are having a wood burner installed.  The firm supplying the stove are doing the work.  They have knocked through to an existing chimney which was used for the old boiler.

A slate hearth has been laid down into the new recess but extends onto the existing carpet. Is this right? I thought they would cut or peel it back and lay the slate on the floor, it is not sitting exactly flush on to the carpet.  Carpet will be replaced eventually so I was not worried about what it looked like after they cut it out. ThanksIMG-20230205-WA0009.thumb.jpg.4e3cbbe0e7d6bb803af4e02152a70f46.jpg

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, Jack mo said:

Advice needed please, we are having a wood burner installed.  The firm supplying the stove are doing the work.  They have knocked through to an existing chimney which was used for the old boiler.

A slate hearth has been laid down into the new recess but extends onto the existing carpet. Is this right? I thought they would cut or peel it back and lay the slate on the floor, it is not sitting exactly flush on to the carpet.  Carpet will be replaced eventually so I was not worried about what it looked like after they cut it out. ThanksIMG-20230205-WA0009.thumb.jpg.4e3cbbe0e7d6bb803af4e02152a70f46.jpg

Personally i think that slate should be beded down and the gap on the LHS should be pointed up and not left looking like that,, 

• Thanks 1

It is not straight forward and depends on the stove and whether the slate can get above 100C but you should look at part J of the building regulations (Page 37 and diagram 26 on my online version), I don't like what is in the picture but I am not qualified.

We have had at least three installers here that used to post but not recently...

7 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Personally i think that slate should be beded down and the gap on the LHS should be pointed up and not left looking like that,, 

Thanks, I'm waiting to hear what they say today, I'm assuming at that this point their plan was to leave it like that and move on to installing the stove

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jack mo said:

I can’t believe they have put a hearth on top of a carpet.  What a bodge.

• Like 2

Likewise.  I'd be wanting more than more than just point around the gaps; I'd demand the slate comes up, the carpet is cut and the slate properly bedded onto a solid base as it should be.

As said that is rubbish.  You'll be paying for a proper job please!

• Like 1