Secondhand trailer advice

M.D.

Personally I wouldn’t touch used trailers again, well not ya run of the mill stuff, more specific stuff like big tippers trailers then yes but your average plant trailers I would always go new simply because there is so much nicked stuff and if there not nicked there fuct, see it in every advert, “Brakes need adjustment “ “lights need looking at” “ could do with wheel bearing adjustment “ etc etc the down side to new is they easily become new nicked trailers! 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Ian C said:

Personally I wouldn’t touch used trailers again, well not ya run of the mill stuff, more specific stuff like big tippers trailers then yes but your average plant trailers I would always go new simply because there is so much nicked stuff and if there not nicked there fuct, see it in every advert, “Brakes need adjustment “ “lights need looking at” “ could do with wheel bearing adjustment “ etc etc the down side to new is they easily become new nicked trailers! 

Plenty good used stuff out there, not everyone can buy new🤷‍♂️, wee bit cynical old boy. Lots of good stuff to be bought 2nd hand.

On 12/01/2023 at 14:44, doobin said:

Trailer prices will be following digger prices back down shortly. Make sure he doesn't overpay.

What kind of trailer is he after?

His mate's is a large version of those small boxy trailers that folk go on camping holiday with. I thought those were called box trailers, but according to secondhand trailer websites, box trailers are like an actual box- ie with a roof.

We got at least 2 ton bags worth of logs into this bigger version of his mate's, but it did have a slightly jaunty angle by the end! He has to come quite a way, so it needs to be able to take at least that much. A greater capacity would probably use less petrol overall, but I don't think he'd be comfortable with it being longer than his old Landy station wagon- for manoeuvring purposes, etc.

On 13/01/2023 at 06:05, doobin said:

Someone 'dealer' on FB was listing a new 750kg unbraked ifor with cage sides for £2400 plus VAT the other day. That can't be retail- surely they are just trying to price gouge?

Surely no ones going to pay that??  Especially as there's no premium for a sub 750kg now, even though they are very handy 

17 hours ago, waterbuoy said:

At that end of the scale something this might be worth a punt!

WWW.GUMTREE.COM

BRAND NEW TRAILER- BOX TRAILER- CAMPING TRAILER WITH 80CM COVER TIPPING 7x4 and ramp DIMENSIONS...

Love it, Waterbuoy. Thank you. I didn't realise there was such a clever design. I'm guessing it gives you more options with how to un/load. If the logs had been reasonably carefully loaded in an even spread, it might be possible to put the ramp down, unhitch, then guide the trailer to tip and rest on the ramp. Putting a sleeper down before the 1st attempt would probably be worthwhile!

6 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I've got a 6 foot trailer that "tips", it pivots around the axle so not actually that helpful at tipping logs out. The back goes down as the front goes up, not very steep and the pile instantly blocks the rest of the logs.

Same as mine sounds really useful until first time you use it, never ised the tip function since. Mind you the trailer otherwise is so useful.

14 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I've got a 6 foot trailer that "tips", it pivots around the axle so not actually that helpful at tipping logs out. The back goes down as the front goes up, not very steep and the pile instantly blocks the rest of the logs.

Thanks for confirming that, Dan. I did think they might need a bit encouragement with a tough metal rake or something.

My uncle seemed to quite enjoy stacking his logs neatly on their flat ends. Possibly to fit more of them in his mate's boxy trailer, or maybe just to make them easier to pick out when he got home. Perhaps if he got one of these tilting trailers and stacked his next logs neatly on their round sides, most of them would roll out when it was unhitched. Might need a back stop! 'D