Secondhand trailer advice

M.D.

I have been idly considering the purchase of a "wee handy", single axle trailer to tow behind the Rav4, to complement the rather sturdily constructed(aka heavy) 3500Kg Dale Kane trailer.  Prices are currently putting me off, having looked at the cute IW single axle manual tipper at the APF show, and a few kinda similar others.

Though the mesh sides on the DK have proved invaluable for carting the well tramped in bushes and other rubbish from the sons Belfast house.  Which mass of tramped in brash is rather neatly removed en-mass/of-a-piece with the tractor loader and pallet toes.

I should probably build another trailer with the cousin, though having totted up the price of bought in axles, lights, hitch, steel and galvansing etc. GULP!

Edited by difflock

7 hours ago, ChrisNewport said:

Ive a Lider 7x4 with the above tip function and the only thing its any good at tipping out is rain water after downpour.

( 'D

Could be a useful feature for quick clean ups. 

I'm liking these tilting trailers more by the day!

10 hours ago, difflock said:

I have been idly considering the purchase of a "wee handy", single axle trailer to tow behind the Rav4

They are the spawn of Satan himself, pain in the arris to reverse, by the time you get to see the little critters in the mirror they are already well on their way to being jackknifed 👎

Bob

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 18/01/2023 at 18:30, aspenarb said:

They are the spawn of Satan himself, pain in the arris to reverse, by the time you get to see the little critters in the mirror they are already well on their way to being jackknifed 👎

Bob

I would like to spout some shite about us farmers sons being able to reverse wee-short arrised trailers,

BUT  .  .  . you bes well correct Bob.

Course iffen the cousin an me built one we could design in a long drawbar, or actually, erm,  a telescopic one, hmmm he thinks .  .  .

EDIT;

Ah just remembered, way back about 1984 when we were at a TA Camp at Manorbier in South Wales, to fire the Blowpipe missiles, I watched in awe as Gunner Matt "Hellesby" Huston reversed a 110 Series III LR with the very short-arsed army trailer, flat out for a significent distance, say 25 to 50m.

Because some SNCO said he could not do it.

Seriously impressive to watch, specially as I would have carried the can iffen it hadda went wrong.

But, hey, he worked on a farm.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 14:14, M.D. said:

Hi guys

Anyone know good places to look for decent secondhand trailers for reasonable prices in the Bristol area?

My uncle wants to get his own so he doesn't have to borrow a dilapidated DIY-built one from a mate any more.

What size trailer??

john..

8 hours ago, john87 said:

What size trailer??

john..

Probably no bigger than a long wheel base Landy, John.

My uncle doesn't have that much experience with trailers, so would probably balk at a great big trailer. Plus there's the cost. I hear what people are saying about small trailers being twitchy though. He did struggle a bit to reverse his mate's DIY trailer, which is 6 or 7ft long, possibly for that very reason. However at least he could turn it around in a farm gateway when he got temporarily lost along the narrow lanes. So on balance twitchiness is probably the lesser of evils.

I have to admit, I'd never touch a trailer unless I'd been on an official trailer ackling course! ( 'D

15 hours ago, M.D. said:

Probably no bigger than a long wheel base Landy, John.

My uncle doesn't have that much experience with trailers, so would probably balk at a great big trailer. Plus there's the cost. I hear what people are saying about small trailers being twitchy though. He did struggle a bit to reverse his mate's DIY trailer, which is 6 or 7ft long, possibly for that very reason. However at least he could turn it around in a farm gateway when he got temporarily lost along the narrow lanes. So on balance twitchiness is probably the lesser of evils.

I have to admit, I'd never touch a trailer unless I'd been on an official trailer ackling course! ( 'D

Reversing is easy!

There is a trick to it. First off. When trying to go backwards in a straight line, DO NOT look at the trailer. Do it all using the mirrors..

All you have to do, is to watch the mirrors. Which ever mirror the trailer starts to appear in, STEER THAT WAY.

So, if the trailer starts to appear in the left mirror, turn the steering to the left. The trailer will now disappear and start to appear in the RIGHT mirror. So, what do you do?? Yes, you turn the steering to the right. The end result is that you go straight backwards!!

Before any of this mind, you need to adjust your mirrors so that when the thing is all in a straight line, if you look in the mirrors you can preferably see straight down either side, or, if not, that there is an equal amount of trailer in each mirror.

Once you have the hang of this, it is all easy after that..

Hope this helps..

john..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, john87 said:

Reversing is easy!

There is a trick to it. First off. When trying to go backwards in a straight line, DO NOT look at the trailer. Do it all using the mirrors..

All you have to do, is to watch the mirrors. Which ever mirror the trailer starts to appear in, STEER THAT WAY.

So, if the trailer starts to appear in the left mirror, turn the steering to the left. The trailer will now disappear and start to appear in the RIGHT mirror. So, what do you do?? Yes, you turn the steering to the right. The end result is that you go straight backwards!!

Before any of this mind, you need to adjust your mirrors so that when the thing is all in a straight line, if you look in the mirrors you can preferably see straight down either side, or, if not, that there is an equal amount of trailer in each mirror.

Once you have the hang of this, it is all easy after that..

Hope this helps..

john..

Simply not the case with the small twitch trailers being discussed here, unless you are putting them behind a Fiat 500. Much better off being able to see the trailer through the rear windscreen over your shoulder.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1