Secondhand trailer advice

M.D.

10 hours ago, Peasgood said:

I take it nobody is a fan of turntable trailers then? :D

Used to love reversing them carting straw as I was pretty good at it. Once put my tractor on the hauliers turntable drag trailer and reversed it around the yard to the barn, mate says to the wagon driver "that young lad just reversed your full trailer round that corner with a shonky old tractor and got it closer to the stack than when you drove it forwards, empty and in a field!" (made my day that did)

Errr.. NO!. Never tried one, but i would imagine it is perfectly horrid to try to drive!! A rigid truck is horrlble after an artic, never mind one with one of them weird trailers!!

john..

2 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

I find it a lot easier backing an artic + trailer into a gateway than I do a transit + chipper.

Bob 

All depends on the circumstances though. I used to do multidrop with steel. I would have a 40 foot trailer with a 50 foot length of steel on there. I might have to do 5 drops before i could get it off. Was not nicae and you could not see the thing either.. I always used to put them on the left side of the trailer as i decided that if it was on the right, it there was too much chance of hittng street signs and car roofs as you turned sharp left..

In towns i used to go slowly with the windows down and wait to see if i could hear buckling metal and screams..

One day i was driving down a wide very quiet road out in the middle of nowhere, complete with the ten foot overhang. I decided i was going the wrong way and to turn around..

You can screw an artic round in a surprisingly small area, so this is what i did. Now, you imagine, the trailer is at right angles to the tractor unit, you just look out tjhe window and there it is. I heard a funny noise, and the steel moved a bit on the trailer..

OMG, you know them nice stone built bus shelters you see out in the country?? Well, i had completely demolished one!!

Juat as well there was nobody in the thing!!

john..

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, john87 said:

I bet it is, depending on which wheel is on the ground, one second it will be like a 10 foot trailer, then the next, a 5 foot one!!

john..

That's it exactly! Doesn't help that it's badly balanced to start with, the axles are dead centre.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 08:30, doobin said:

to tie in with what you and @difflockjust said- my ten foot tri axle trailer is a pig to reverse anywhere other than a concrete yard. It’s short yet tri axle. As the wheels encounter a tiny bump, the pivot point shifts wildly and the way you were aiming the truck is suddenly no longer right 🤣

Glad you have made this point. I recently changed my twin axle 12ft plant trailer to a 16ft tri axle one, to accomodate my new spider MEWP. I shall be particularly careful reversing on any uneven ground.

• Like 1