Suitable grease for hedge trimmer gears and brush cutter heads

William Clifford

Would either of these be suitable for hedge trimmer gear grease? Looking to use a grease gun instead of the expensive Still tubes. Have grease nipple adaptor for the Stihl but understand high temperature Lithium is better for it than normal lithium grease. I think the Castrol in the second link ticks the box, but not knowing my grease's, is the cheaper HT Red complex Lithium grease still ok?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074KD1MD2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AZQ7X7EYQIGNU&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GUBKH1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CKQVK90UAMQF&psc=1

Also, a similar suggestion that is suitable for brush cutter heads?

Thanks.

Personally I'd just get the more expensive one, you're not going to use enough in hedge trimmer that it makes any difference to your business overhead whereas gearbox failure will.

Having said that, I also work on the principle that some of any grease is so much better than no grease at all that it doesn't matter much what you use if regular.

Cordless Stihl hedge cutters - there isn’t a grease port on the head, so I asked the guy in the dealership about it when I picked our first set up and he said they don’t need greasing. Seemed odd to me, especially after a few months they sounded pretty dry. So popped the cover off and put some grease in there, a year down the line and the motor gave out a puff of smoke and that’s them done. Not very helpful as I honestly don’t know if the grease killed them or made them last a bit longer? 

Be a bit careful and frugal greasing cordless hedge trimmers. The workshop manuals for Stihl and Husqvarna are very specific about where and how much grease to use, you dont pack it in like petrol machines. From what I remember there are no guidelines given in the owners manuals as how to grease the machines, its more like send it into your dealer after about 50 hours of use.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Be a bit careful and frugal greasing cordless hedge trimmers. The workshop manuals for Stihl and Husqvarna are very specific about where and how much grease to use, you dont pack it in like petrol machines. From what I remember there are no guidelines given in the owners manuals as how to grease the machines, its more like send it into your dealer after about 50 hours of use.

50 hours so if you are cutting hedges all week the next week it will be in the dealers for a week not very good