Suitable grease for hedge trimmer gears and brush cutter heads

William Clifford

As to battery gearboxes,I only have the cheapest 18v makita hedgetrimmer for sculpting stand-alone shrubs/bushes etc.Have sharpened the blades 2 or 3 times,inside the gearbox, there's an an almost transparent grease with no greasing point,so have left well alone.But given its useage,wouldnt expect to see extended use times/overheating issues needing new grease?

Pondering too,with the best will in the world,I cant honestly think that any battery hedgetrimmer at this moment in time is either capable-or designed to deal with say,a 300 metre 8ft conifer hedge on a double building plot in comparison to a well-maintained big stihl single sided hedgetrimmer for which jobs like that are bread and butter.Hopefully that may change in the future,but leaving aside the luxury need of needing say6/8 batteries,I cant see a battery gearbox being designed for 4 hours non-stop work.

A pro user said to me the other day...problem is with cordless it's like a light bulb- it either is working or it isn't and there's no warning that it isn't going to work next time either...which is a fair point. Like he said, at least with a petrol machine you can normally tell something isn't right before it goes bang completely and at least you have a chance to put it right before it does, and importantly you can arrange to use another machine on the next job instead of being let down without warning and costing you lost work on the day.

On 01/12/2022 at 20:19, Trailoftears said:

As to saving money on any petrol gearboxes by the use of 'unsuitable' grease-seems a bit cheeseparing even bonkers behaviour given the minimal quantities required to me.Unless of course opening unfamiliar trashed gearboxes with several greasy sheared bits is your idea of a fun evening!

I just get the arse paying silly money for a silly small tube of grease when you can get a big tub of grease that is more than suitable for a fraction of the price.

The killer of these gearboxes is no lubrication rather than poor quality grease.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2022 at 20:19, Trailoftears said:

As to saving money on any petrol gearboxes by the use of 'unsuitable' grease-seems a bit cheeseparing even bonkers behaviour given the minimal quantities required to me.Unless of course opening unfamiliar trashed gearboxes with several greasy sheared bits is your idea of a fun evening!

I just get the arse paying silly money for a silly small tube of grease when you can get a big tub of grease that is more than suitable for a fraction of the price.

The killer of these gearboxes is no lubrication rather than poor quality grease.

I must admit,when I open my gearboxes up there's generally far too much in there.Just renewed the blades on the stihl hl 94 c,which involved delving into greasy gearbox areas.So after imperfect 'cleaning' out of excess grease,have tried a minimal amount of blue/almost translucent car wheel bearing grease.Which I hope will be ok....gulp.