Help in return for firewood.

Thomas younger

50 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I am trying to be nice, but the site is mostly about arb types with bills to pay, HMRC don't like in kind or IOU sometime.

If you want to be philanthropic about firewood, nice if you have the time and means but probably best to buy in and sell with very minimal of margins.

I've never met a farmer who would give you firewood in return for chopping it and I am one and surrounded by them.

Best of luck.

This site is about all things related to Arb, if the site was mostly about bills to pay, there would be a dedicated forum for that.  

I got into tree cutting because my dad did firewood to heat our house.  The deal was, the farmer gave him the tractor and trailer and he got the blown down trees.  He did this with every farmer in our area, he also shot their foxes, they gave him  bullets and a lamb for the freezer and bags of potatoes and anything else he needed.  We got the pigeon shooting and I was allowed to play on my motorbike in their fields but I also had to help round up the sheep when asked.    We helped with the hay and silage , money was never exchanged, but labour and gratitude and the feeling of community was always there.  When I wanted to get into Arb, the same farmers I helped as a kid helped me, a place to have a bonfire, a loan of a tractor and I always repaid them with tree cutting and anything else I could as they got older.  I learned how to climb and fell by asking a farmer if I could fell the dead elms on his land for practice and he offered me his tractor and trailer to lift the firewood.  I limbed up all round the fields to practice climbing, the guys I gave  the firewood to for free helped Chuck the branches back into the woods.  The same farmer gave me an old prefab to rent for peanuts, I helped him with the sheep and helped out where I could.

Rarely a good gesture doesn’t get repaid along the way.  Some will take advantage but that’s the minority.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, GarethM said:

And that's how a lot of arb types do start.

If you've read the posts he just wants to chop firewood for free and that's it.

No no no. It’s nothing to do with his first post about desperately needing to heat his home for the wife and kids and everything to do with his altruistic nature in wanting to help grannies. 

Oh, and his therapy. 🙄

• Like 1

I totally forgot about the successful business man, desperately needing to heat the house with two burners for his kid and Mrs.

Is drug dealing altruism, if it's barter.

You know, I'll break your legs if you don't pay me for the last smack ?.

I actually suggested he did bought it and sold at cost, seeing space wasn't a problem become a tip site and sell it at cost.

Edited by GarethM
  • Haha 1

So...a guy wants a bit of firewood and....not for FREE, he is happy to offer a bit of work for it. That to me is a bit of a breath of fresh air and some of the answers on here are as Mike says Twatish!!!

Me...tomorrow I am porting and repairing another saw, I took a couple of cubes of firewood in part payment and is something I have done many times in the past. I am old school and repay favours and always work for something that works for both parties.

I once rebuilt a MS200T charging one load of firewood for a guy that had been robbed of most of his kit and he didn't have much but the van and a load of wood left! What do I do...tell him £££ only or help the fella out and keep my stock of firewood topped up!My choice and how I rock. 

For all we know, the OP may have other skills or services he may offer, who knows but at least offering a bit of help for a bit of firewood is better than taking it and repaying nothing. If a few others had similar ethics, this site may be a better place!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

Spud use your positive attitude to encourage others, not to explain yourself.  The good ones are watching and appreciating you.

0A994D65-2977-4622-BF4B-7B73EB8899F6.jpeg

I’ve seen that with a different animal but the pigeon is the best character for it. Good meme, good message. 

4 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Great idea Tom! Nice to see someone showing a bit of initiative and not expecting a result to come to them for zero input.

If someone offered to split logs for a share of the production I would be all over it . I burn alot of wood per winter but I have to dump alot too. I would rather see it going to be used, even better used by someone who appreciates it.

Keep asking, someone will take you up on it.

100% thank you very much, don't get the point of being on here if it's not too find sustainable solutions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1