Help in return for firewood.

Thomas younger

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

If you had actually bothered to read any of his posts, he wanted to go to in need old people and farmers with the wood piled up and not local arb guys.

If he wanted to use a local guys yard to split timber, he could pickup a phone book and strike up a conversation and make a deal.

That was not what he was offering was it, he wasn't a youngster wanting the experience either.

Whilst I may not win any awards for English literature, I can atleast read and read between the lines.

I'd say you're well above the average intelligence buddy. Spot on 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Attention.

A feeling of importance.

The ability to be contraversial without fear of physical consequenses.

The belief that he posesses some kind of " power" that he flexes over the forum.

Trying on different persona in a safe space.

One or more of the above.

It'd Alright I don't mind, probably saving their wives from grief at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

In a similar vein, it would be cheaper for me to just buy fruit and veg from the shop, especially when you factor time into it. But I like to grow some of my own, so I do. I often give plants and veg away too. Why? I like doing it - for loads of reasons.

I also still split firewood by hand sometimes. I have a splitter and this is much more efficient.  But axe work is therapeutic, cathartic even and also great exercise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not to detract from the entirely reasonable idea of exchanging a days work for firewood.

Managing expectations - I have family who run a working farm.

They would never allow anyone to go away with any firewood.

Not only do they have numerous properties on the place all miles away from mains gas, they also changed a couple of them from oil a number of years back to pellet/wood boilers.

In days gone by they would supply firewood to a few longstanding customers, but I'm certain that they wouldn't ever be interested in letting someone do work for them in exchange for firewood, even though their farm has plenty of plantations

Stick with the idea of an elderly person who needs the help, or someone in the arb business who could come to a deal.

I don't feel working with farmers offers the most opportunity because they would simply be looking at the value of the wood to them, not the worth of the help which can often be done on an exchange basis with neighbouring farms.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glencairn said:

Not to detract from the entirely reasonable idea of exchanging a days work for firewood.

Managing expectations - I have family who run a working farm.

They would never allow anyone to go away with any firewood.

Not only do they have numerous properties on the place all miles away from mains gas, they also changed a couple of them from oil a number of years back to pellet/wood boilers.

In days gone by they would supply firewood to a few longstanding customers, but I'm certain that they wouldn't ever be interested in letting someone do work for them in exchange for firewood, even though their farm has plenty of plantations

Stick with the idea of an elderly person who needs the help, or someone in the arb business who could come to a deal.

I don't feel working with farmers offers the most opportunity because they would simply be looking at the value of the wood to them, not the worth of the help which can often be done on an exchange basis with neighbouring farms.

This raises a point that I overlooked in my previous posts and what I didn’t consider before!  TRUST!  
  It is hard earned and easily lost.  Your family farm will of worked 
 with their neighbours in the past and will know the boundaries.  When working for a new customer no matter the reward, monitory or timber or use of a machines, it’s important to keep the scales evenly balanced, not every day it will be a 50/50 deal but always remember to balance things up when pay day comes is what I say.  

Sounds a great idea! 

I’ve a small farm, have charged customers for removal of the wood, then dumped it at mine, saving tipp fees, double bubble :thumbup:

Realistically, I’ve more than I’ll ever manage to mill or split, if I were greedy it’d just rot away, someone wanting to split and take half would be brilliant!  

I’ve already someone who takes what he needs in lengths and pays in honey, imagine, being quids in, pantry full of honey and a shed of split firewood just by not being greedy, wouldn’t care less about the splitters motives tbh! 

Unfortunately Bishops Auckland doesn’t sound very local to Sweden 😆

good luck in your search though :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

Sounds a great idea! 

I’ve a small farm, have charged customers for removal of the wood, then dumped it at mine, saving tipp fees, double bubble :thumbup:

Realistically, I’ve more than I’ll ever manage to mill or split, if I were greedy it’d just rot away, someone wanting to split and take half would be brilliant!  

I’ve already someone who takes what he needs in lengths and pays in honey, imagine, being quids in, pantry full of honey and a shed of split firewood just by not being greedy, wouldn’t care less about the splitters motives tbh! 

Unfortunately Bishops Auckland doesn’t sound very local to Sweden 😆

good luck in your search though :) 

It's alright if the UK keeps going the way it is I might end up in a cabin in Sweden so we will see 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1