How good are you?

Trailoftears

As I've mentioned in my previous posts, I'm not strictly a heavy chainsaw user,more of a general landscaper,So,out of necessity a certain amount of p.p.e has always been part of my professional life,S3 boots protected toecap/midsole protection,waterproofness (yeah right!).Also a full forestry helmet/under glasses combined with decent ear protection.But pertaining to specific chainsaw protection, I've never bought a specific chainsaw boot system,or indeed a  cut protected jacket.Because they are costly,And I wouldnt use them often enough to justify the outlay.I do have a whizz bang pair of stihl chainsaw trousers with braces.To my shame,I dont often use them-why not?

A:because I feel like an extra from the monty python lumberjack sketch.

B:Because I'm cocky,and think I'm really clued-up re:chainsaw useage.

C:I will often just do say 15 mins work,and think-"nah,taint worth the hassle" to tog up.And herein possibly lies the issues with ppe equipment re: chainsaws and other machines too-takes too long to put on/expensive/hot n sweaty.Admittedly it has improved somewhat over the last few years-I do like the arm kevlar sleeves.Personally,as a user of many potentially dangerous garden tools-30" single-sided hedgetrimmers/40cc brushcutters with blades on-I dont feel chainsaws are more intrinsically dangerous than any other sharp motorised tools-as long as they are well-maintained.Of course,when you start talking about rope systems/climbing with saws,we enter a different dialogue and skillset.Equally,when you find yourself gingerly moving along a 50 metre leylandii hedge on your knees at a height of 8 metres with a top width of 2+metres lugging a stihl hs 87 r, that again is a different skillset to trimming a routine privet hedge. Curious to know what peoples min- max insistence on ppe is in various roles!?

• Like 1

Just as an afterthought-as I meander about on my merry way,I Note FAR too many young lads toting big brushcutters working for private firms who now have most of the local authority grass-cutti g contracts,who dont have helmets on,or sometimes even eye protection.Is that the specific firms fault,or a young lad disregarding his (probably minimal) training?I couldnt possibly say...However,What I CAN say you may well go strimming for 99 days with no incidents,on the 100th day,you will lose an eye-or indeed your mates eye.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

Just as an afterthought-as I meander about on my merry way,I Note FAR too many young lads toting big brushcutters working for private firms who now have most of the local authority grass-cutti g contracts,who dont have helmets on,or sometimes even eye protection.Is that the specific firms fault,or a young lad disregarding his (probably minimal) training?I couldnt possibly say...However,What I CAN say you may well go strimming for 99 days with no incidents,on the 100th day,you will lose an eye-or indeed your mates eye.

You don't need a helmet for brushcutting- it's just going to make you uncomfortable for no reason on a hot day.

You do, howver, ALWAYS need eye protection and ear defenders. I've stopped before and given someone strimming with no eye protection a spare pair of safety glasses- it give me shivers.

• Like 3

Chainsaw boots and trousers are kind of non issue, go out wearing those in the morning.

Helmets are a thing. I keep mine on most of the day because otherwise I forget where I left it and get annoyed wandering round to find it. I have worked with people who take helmet off at any opportunity, which is bad because the most common accident I've seen on site after silky cut is wood dropping out of trees onto heads.

• Like 1

I would say otherwise, the helmet is an ideal frame to hang the visor (dog shit collector!) And ear muffs, that doesn't keep slipping or moving off ya head. More importantly, as your always looking downwards whilst cutting and moving forwards,  your not looking at what's coming at you at head height. 

My own experience justifies this, - walked into a steel rebar hanging out of a garage wall, whilst strimming around the edges, a split scalp got me to A and E pretty rapidly to have seven staples put in to hold it all together. Feck, headwounds bleed a lot

• Like 3

My mate will do chainsaw carving in shorts and crocks but he is mad ,any use of a chainsaw you should were PPE I dont always but it can go so wrong so quickly if I am doing a lot of chainsaw work I will put chaps or trousers on but just cutting 1 log in half not so much but it always gives me the gibies 

11 hours ago, Trailoftears said:

...However,What I CAN say you may well go strimming for 99 days with no incidents,on the 100th day,you will lose an eye-or indeed your mates eye.

how you feel about these young lads with what you see as a lack of PPE for strimmers, is probably how others view you with a chainsaw and lack of appropriate PPE.

As you pointed out, PPE is completely useless for days, months, years, decades even……. until the day an accident happens. Unfortunately no one knows when that day is!

the fact you’re asking these questions says to me that you know you ought to be wearing it, but for some reason you want to hear that you don’t really need to :) 

• Like 3

Whilst strimming is hot and uncomfortable Vs going home covered head to toe in liquidised dog poo and being able to smell it for 2-3 days up your nostrils.

So it's boiler suit, pair of rigger gloves, wellies and a full helmet setup with plastic visor.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

how you feel about these young lads with what you see as a lack of PPE for strimmers, is probably how others view you with a chainsaw and lack of appropriate PPE.

As you pointed out, PPE is completely useless for days, months, years, decades even……. until the day an accident happens. Unfortunately no one knows when that day is!

the fact you’re asking these questions says to me that you know you ought to be wearing it, but for some reason you want to hear that you don’t really need to :) 

He doesn't want to look like a Monty Python lumberjack, said so in the first post.