Why are young’ish people leaving the job market?

eggsarascal

6 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Tax petrol too much and you kill the economy.

Tax fags too much and you get bootlegs. And kill the revenue from fags.

Your move.

The fuel tax situation is a shambles - Sunak cut the duty in March this year and hancock raised it in Nov...  How's that for a flip flop.

Of course I agree, tax fuel = kill the economy, but don't tax fuel = kill the planet.  What are you gonna do...

Just now, Paul in the woods said:

You've visited down here recently then.

I've not read the whole thread but what annoys me along with the ever increasing tax burden is the ever decreasing services. Police will not come out to investigate a crime because they've centralised their unit and we're too far away. Roads are so bad you need a 4x4 to get down your road (the last pothole repair was a smear of tarmac on the edge of the pothole and that involved two transits and a lorry and took an hour). Etc, etc.

Alright mate! I’m not your MP, call him.

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Alright mate! I’m not your MP, call him.

I doubt he'll be about, he'll be working overseas on his 2nd job. I have talked to a few councillors but that's worse than pointless.  

I often think a tax bill should be like an invoice, I'll happily pay for what I've received (including help for others less fortunate) but I'd like to cross off the bits I don't get.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Plus the whole taxing fuel argument, has one huge problem. Jet fuel isn't taxed, so everyone is so obsessed about car emissions when an A380 can carry 320,000 litres tax free!.

24m3 but you are right, because no one country will unilaterally tax plane fuel for fear of damaging the aero industry which is an important part of the economy

On the original topic ....many people 55 plus can get early retirement , primarily those in the public sector and large corporations ( banks etc )  A great deal will have the mortgage paid off by 55 so this a huge reduction in outgoings !!  Myself and my beloved are in this situation ( mortgage / rent free )  She is ex NHS , I still work, but not full time , have an abundance of wood so heating costs are minimal , compared to many !!  If we both worked full time on average salaries £25 k then we would have after tax etc £7-800 per week income , what would we do with it all ???   Holidays maybe , but limited due to full time work , fancy car ?  if I got a fancy boat or motorbike , I could afford them but not have much time to use them so what is the point !?  nicer house perhaps , but we are happy where we are so would rather exchange money for " time " with a realisation we are in the autumn of our years . Inheritance plays a part also . After getting up to go to work for 40 plus years we feel that is enough. Also if you research demographics then there are more people in the 50 -60 age bracket than any other ( baby boomers ) so there are just not enough of the next generation to fill the jobs that are being left ( also some die or become incapacitated ) so the reasons are many for the shortage of workers ......... 

• Like 4