Towing/moving around a 6 vs 8 inch chipper

DWALLA

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Then you have to find somewhere to put the trailer, out of the way where it won't get nicked.

i guess you guys are doing urban work with not much parking then, and have a lot more problems with stuff getting stolen 

On 05/11/2022 at 08:42, dumper said:

I have chipped with my bandit 90 into the back of a friends transit the chips hit the back of the cab and bounced back out, it’s happier filling a 7.5 tonne and is capable of filling much bigger,it wasn’t to slow filling a artic trailer

why chip 8 inch logs when you can sell these for more than chip or at least dispose at no cost ,is the difference between the chippers that great on brash?

they work well being loaded by grab but the time and labour saved with grab loading is lost on filling transit quickly and waiting for it to return

We’ve filled my Transit with a Bandit 90 hundreds of times.

I didn’t realise the chips were bouncing out.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've a client who is a fitter at a caravan dealership.

Last week he proposed a caravan mover system for under 2k euros rated to a higher weight than the chipper requires to deal with slopes and soft terrain.

Mrs Lee would prefer a tracked barrow fitted with a towball as we could use it both for our renovation project and towing the chipper as well as remove logs from jobs with tighter access.

I've not the funds for a mini-loader and we already have a useful small tractor with loader if there is sufficient room and wood.

Stuart

29 minutes ago, GarethM said:

What about modifying one of those cheap lumag power barrows ?

I tried this, not to pull a chipper but a trailer. Welded up a gooseneck hitch attachment which clamps onto the trailer. Trailer had a cage on, and a plywood sheet on top of the cage. The idea was a mobile work platform for doing long hedges; matey stands on the platform and works while I slowly track around the place.

It kind of worked ok, on flat ground, but we struggled on slight gradients. The barrow didn't have enough power to turn while pulling the trailer up a grade, so he had to get off and push. Trailer was about 400kg fully ticked out with a man atop. Track barrow was 5.5hp and 220kg.

Track barrow was too light, and not really powerful enough as well. Fine of flat ground though.

• Like 1