Employing a 16 year old.

madbopper

Afternoon everybody, got a couple of questions that might be a bit obvious to some, I packed in tree work in 2006 so I’m very out of the loop with regards current legislation and all the shite that goes with it. 

So packed in tree work and now run a fishery, I’ve recently been contacted by sparsholt college to see if I can give a lad one day a week work experience. 

A major day to day job is hedge trimming.

So the questions are.

Can I allow a 16 year old to use a hedge trimmer ??

what tickets would be appropriate, if any,

can he use one if given on site training by a suitable person, I have 35 years Arb experience but haven’t got any tickets for a hedge trimmer myself.

Ive just ordered a battery long reach for myself, this seams to me to be a far safer machine to use compared to my old stilhl which will happily  Chop through 3/4 inch Hazel.

I have no other employees( so under 5) so do I need to do a risk assessment, every day he’s here.

I would like to cover my arse.

Cheers russ.  

Having done it it’s possible but few hoops to jump through

get college to ensure he is trained in what you want him to do you are giving him experience not training

check your insurance had to let mine know under 18 

don’t let them drive unless has licence 

enjoy it mine we’re really good fun to have around 

• Like 1

Your risk assessment is easy just go through the job point out the dangers explain how you want it done you will have to supervise him continuously you can’t leave him to get on with it, ppe is more difficult as you should provide all that is required  your method statement can be verbal at the start of the day you can get a signature but it means little 

Colleges looking for work experience/ placements generally have to visit your premise’s to ensure it meets minimum requirements for HSE, factories acts  , various insurances, etc. they will sign you off and ensure you are suitable. If they haven’t - they’re not carrying out due diligence and are winging it. Can’t believe Sparsholt haven’t done this already or are at least intending to🤔.

This is Alex, my work experience lad studying a 3 year forestry course but wants to slide into climbing.

He is with me for two weeks, one more to go.

Although I was given an incomprehensible document to read and sign, alot of it is generally ignored by employeurs.

Very little information was required and no official visit made to see is we were suitable as 'hosts' 

At 15 I can't let him use any saws or cutters although he is keen but I couldn't keep him away from the chipper for long which he has taken onboard as his personal responsibility after watching him struggle with the safety bar and buttons whilst not looking at me for advice. He'd hit the red 🍄 on top again.

He gets dropped off at 8:30, works hard then I feed and water him, grafts some more and I drop him home whenever.

He's bright, motived, interested in all things arb, trees and fungi.

So far he's not given me any cause to swear though I tend to let him work things out for himself to the point I really need to intervene.

One day, early finish, so put him in a harness and got him body thrusting up the wee lime in the garden.

I think he'll go away having learned positive things and if later in his course he requires another placement, my door will be open for him.

Stuart

IMG_20221020_094205.jpg

• Like 10

The mass of red tape and arse covering over here is probably one reason the industry is suffering, we're too busy protecting kids to let them try anything and get enthused. Seem to remember a similar story when I first tried diving in the 70's, BSAC wanted 6 weeks pool work with a mask and snorkel before moving on to SCUBA, years later I did a PADI course and was in open water after a day with SCUBA in the pool. I think BSAC have now changed as they were becoming irrelevant, people either went with PADI or just got a mate to show them.

• Like 2