Modern trucks are an enigma !

Stubby

So , Today I drove from Chichester to Arundel and back then on to Southhampton air port roundabout . Then back to Chi then between Chi and Emsworth on the A 27 3 times . Used a about a third of a tank of fuel and was driving for about 2 hours . There was an improvement , it will rev above 4K in 1st and 2nd but tugs back in the other gears . you can feather the throttle in 6th to eventually get almost 90 m/h but the DPF light has not yet gone out . It might have cleared if I persisted but I got board . Might get it taken off and cleaned in a machiene . Then add some JLM DPF regen plus in every tank full . This slightely raises the exhaust temp to help with keeping the DPF clear . Its designed especially for twats like me that don't go any where !

Probably best to get it cleaned instead of just thrashing it in an effort to clear it out. Plus if it's blocked too much you'll have to fit a new one.

Always dubious about the additives as the electronics just adjusts the fuel mixture according to the lambda sensors, if the fuel is rich it just adds less. It does cleans out your tank tho, so filters will be next on the list.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

So , Today I drove from Chichester to Arundel and back then on to Southhampton air port roundabout . Then back to Chi then between Chi and Emsworth on the A 27 3 times . Used a about a third of a tank of fuel and was driving for about 2 hours . There was an improvement , it will rev above 4K in 1st and 2nd but tugs back in the other gears . you can feather the throttle in 6th to eventually get almost 90 m/h but the DPF light has not yet gone out . It might have cleared if I persisted but I got board . Might get it taken off and cleaned in a machiene . Then add some JLM DPF regen plus in every tank full . This slightely raises the exhaust temp to help with keeping the DPF clear . Its designed especially for twats like me that don't go any where !

It could be worth seeing if a local garage will do a forced regen. I had a Renault years ago that wouldn't regenerate the dpf no matter what additives I tried and loads of motorway miles. I ended up buying a diagnostic tool that you plugged into the car and and worked it through a laptop, you can probably do it with a smart phone nowadays. It has loads of things including the option to force a regen of the dpf. It took about an hour but it worked. It cost about £150 iirc which was a lot cheaper than a new dpf. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mesterh said:

It could be worth seeing if a local garage will do a forced regen. I had a Renault years all that wouldn't regenerate the dpf no matter what additives I tried and loads of motorway miles. I ended up buying a diagnostic tool that you plugged into the car and and worked it through a laptop, you can probably do it with a smart phone nowadays. It has loads of things including the option to force a regen of the dpf. It took about an hour but it worked. It cost about £150 iirc which was a lot cheaper than a new dpf. 

A forced regen is what I thought I was doing ? There is a place near me that will take it off , put it in a machine and blast it through with out damaging it . Takes about 20 mins to clean so, an hour or two to remove , clean and replace ? 

I thought the same when I tried the motorway diving thing but the light never went out. This worked though, with the tool you can see the soot levels in the dpf before and after the regen. It doesn't always work from what I read at the time but it certainly worked for me.

Sounds like the option of getting yours cleaned is far simpler. I couldn't do that with mine and I think a new dpf was around £800-1000 ish.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stubby said:

A forced regen is what I thought I was doing ? There is a place near me that will take it off , put it in a machine and blast it through with out damaging it . Takes about 20 mins to clean so, an hour or two to remove , clean and replace ? 

Pretty much mate. I have a 2019 Hilux all the mod cons like you. The stop start shit drives me mad and I like the ac on to bypass it because if the ac is on it can’t stop the engine and if I take the ac off I forget to push the button to stop this happening. The issue I have with the stop start rubbish is that it cut out in me once at some lights and I couldn’t get it going again. Spoke to a friend of mine who said it’s knackering the battery and the starter motor so stop using it. Fine not a problem. I have a DPF warning light that should come on when the DPF needs sorting but in 3 years it’s never come on. However one of my transits (2012) is a nightmare for the DPF, I need it re-gened every 6 months and it drives me nuts.

Im in Bristol and have a clean air zone coming in so I’m thinking of getting rid of that van and getting a new 7.5 tonne canter to replace it because if it’s causing me issues and I can’t drive into the centre anymore with it what’s the point.

I would say all this new diesel rubbish is a pain in the arse but it’s not caused me as many issues as everybody else by the sound of things. Not sure if that’s because it’s a Hilux or just because I got lucky. Has any one else had issues with the DPF on a modern Hilux?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stubby said:

Is there any possibility that you've sorted the problem but the warning light just needs reset?

If there's any likelihood of that being the case you could try disconnecting the battery for a while and then re-connecting it.

Might not work but at least it would be simple compared to flogging around the roads like a testosterone charged young fella.