Modern trucks are an enigma !

Stubby

I have a fairly new NP300 with all the anti pollution gizmos EGR valve , DPF , nox sensor , CAT , another nox sensor in that order from the engine back . This makes it ULEZ compliant and brings the road tax down a bit . Also on it are things IMO that tend to fight against the above . An actual MPG and average MPG monitor and a stop start thing ( which is turn offable ) .  On the one hand I am drawn to the MPG thing so try and keep it doing its best average and the stop start turns off every time you halt ( unless foot on clutch or you have turned it off anyway )  Doing this is bad for the other components especially the DPF . It needs to get hot to self clean , the CAT needs to get hot to function . As everything I need is local most of my trips are short . This makes the DPF start to clogg . So I have to drive fairly hard up and down the motorway until it regenerate and the light goes out wasting fuel and polluting . The whole thing turns up its own arse I think . Totally frustrating . The best thing I can do is ignore the MPG monitor , leave it in a lower gear that I normally would ( so it revs a bit higher ) and once a fortnight drive aimlessly up and down the M27 .   Thoughts ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I have a fairly new NP300 with all the anti pollution gizmos EGR valve , DPF , nox sensor , CAT , another nox sensor in that order from the engine back . This makes it ULEZ compliant and brings the road tax down a bit . Also on it are things IMO that tend to fight against the above . An actual MPG and average MPG monitor and a stop start thing ( which is turn offable ) .  On the one hand I am drawn to the MPG thing so try and keep it doing its best average and the stop start turns off every time you halt ( unless foot on clutch or you have turned it off anyway )  Doing this is bad for the other components especially the DPF . It needs to get hot to self clean , the CAT needs to get hot to function . As everything I need is local most of my trips are short . This makes the DPF start to clogg . So I have to drive fairly hard up and down the motorway until it regenerate and the light goes out wasting fuel and polluting . The whole thing turns up its own arse I think . Totally frustrating . The best thing I can do is ignore the MPG monitor , leave it in a lower gear that I normally would ( so it revs a bit higher ) and once a fortnight drive aimlessly up and down the M27 .   Thoughts ?

Do you need a truck for local stuff?

A mate of mine has a Navara, it's never seen a days work in it's life.

9 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Do you need a truck for local stuff?

A mate of mine has a Navara, it's never seen a days work in it's life.

Yes mate . Logs from my log stack ,  towing my splitter , horsey stuff , bales of shaving feed etc .

DPF... short journeys...   The two simply don't go Stubby.  I've a 65 plate D40 and thankfully do too much mileage; the important thing is the short trips are few and far between (unless you call John O'Groats short!)

You're right; for short journeys you have features fighting among themselves but I guess the emissions regs force them upon the manufacturers.

Sadly ev pickups will come too late for us; I'd love one but a mass produced model won't be here until I've stopped the tree/log work.  I may not even be here!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nepia said:

DPF... short journeys...   The two simply don't go Stubby.  I've a 65 plate D40 and thankfully do too much mileage; the important thing is the short trips are few and far between (unless you call John O'Groats short!)

You're right; for short journeys you have features fighting among themselves but I guess the emissions regs force them upon the manufacturers.

Sadly ev pickups will come too late for us; I'd love one but a mass produced model won't be here until I've stopped the tree/log work.  I may not even be here!

Yes I had no such problems with my D40 . Don't think it had a DPF ?

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

All could be done with a Transit pickup, do you need it, or want it?

A transit pickup of the same age as his truck will probably drink more juice and will have all the same issues.

Don't worry Stubby- every true country boy needs a truck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1