Problems and issues this industry faces and how to deal with them.

Mick Dempsey

Sorry for the pompous title.

This may get traction or it may die a death.

There’s a lot of talk about this sort of thing without really pinning down if they are real problems or just personal gripes.

So let’s try and identify specific issues and think if there’s any answers.

All levels of experience and competence welcome, especially younger, newer entrants to the job, your views are as, if not, more important than those of us on the home straight working wise.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
Poor wording
  • Like 1

• Mick Dempsey changed the title to Problems and issues this industry faces and how to deal with them.

One that I have read often is ‘we don’t get the recognition for the work we do’

or ‘unless we do A or B, this industry will never get taken seriously’

Well, so what? You get paid, if you want appreciation be a nurse or a copper

what is it you’re missing? Respect at the burger van from scaffolders?

As it goes it’s not an unusual occurrence to come down from a tree to a round of applause, but maybe that’s just me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

One that I have read often is ‘we don’t get the recognition for the work we do’

or ‘unless we do A or B, this industry will never get taken seriously’

Well, so what? You get paid, if you want appreciation be a nurse or a copper

what is it you’re missing? Respect at the burger van from scaffolders?

As it goes it’s not an unusual occurrence to come down from a tree to a round of applause, but maybe that’s just me.

Likewise. People often say good job, impressive, I couldn’t do that etc. A kid drew a picture of me once. That’s domestic work though, people pleased to have their gardens back. To a developer or maintainer of land/property, perhaps the tree people are just forgettable necessities for clearing a site before you can put a visible money maker like a bricklayer in. I don’t even buy that though. Getting rid of a tree in the way of a Starbucks drive through is still productive work. 

• Like 1

In this country, all the trades and manual jobs are seen as ' what the thick kids do'. I wasn't a thick kid, actually, I was one of the cleverest kids in the school. I competed for the top spot at school with people who are now oncologists, surgeons, and very good barristers. Numerous times I'd be asked why I was doing tree work, with the presumption that life had obviously gone very wrong for me. I did it because I wanted to, not because I didn't have options.

I retired from climbing when I was in my mid 30's, and now have a career that's much more acceptable to my peers. Most people who have known me for less than 10 years would be amazed that I actually used to be a proficient climber. Most people who do what I do now couldn't use a pair of secateurs enthusiasticly without giving themselves a nose bleed. 

Arb and manual work generally is frowned upon because a lot of people need to bolster their fragile egos by trying to convince themselves that what they do is ' better' because they sit in an office and wear a shirt and tie. 

Additionally, anyone can call themself an arb, and the NPTC units are so incredibly easy to pass that they are just a joke. 

Oh, and the Arb Association think you are all a bunch of scumbags unless you are employed by an arb approved contractor. 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Oh, and the Arb Association think you are all a bunch of scumbags unless you are employed by an arb approved contractor. 😁

Conveniently overlooking all the Arb businesses (including many Arb Approved Contractors) who choose not to employ people but instead use the scumbags as pretend subbies/freelancers.

25 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Conveniently overlooking all the Arb businesses (including many Arb Approved Contractors) who choose not to employ people but instead use the scumbags as pretend subbies/freelancers.

... which takes us back to the point made by @eggsarascal about employers shirking their obligations to their employees NI, pension enrollment, holiday/sick pay etc

Just now, Sutton said:

... which takes us back to the point made by @eggsarascal about employers shirking their obligations to their employees NI, pension enrollment, holiday/sick pay etc

That's the same in loads of industries though, not just arb. Having staff who think they are self employed (because you told them they are) is a very widespread problem. 

• Like 2

I agree, hidden employment is an issue, not throwing any stones, I’ve been guilty of it myself,  it’s one the building trade addressed with the cs card scheme (or whatever it’s called) 

Not so easy to address in arb where people are going to different sites every day.