2 rope climbing are we sticking to the rules

Thesnarlingbadger

Ive been working in this industry for a year now and have been learning to climb for the last 2 to 3 months. My boss and mentor is an old school climber with 25 years of experience and he learned to climb and mostly climbs SRT never had an issue in his career, but i am learning with 2 ropes as i just feel safer that way, every time ive climbed SRT i feel extremely exposed.

Obviously this is because of my lack of understanding of the tolerance of the anchor points across the different types of trees, but i still personally feel that its better to be safe than sorry when even falling from a few feet could drastically change a life.

I guess one argument is that ropes can also cause life changing accidents and having more increases those risks. Not sure which type of accidents are more common though.

Let me know what you think

48 minutes ago, Jwow said:

i am learning with 2 ropes as i just feel safer that way, 

The best single piece of advice I got when I was fairly new was to never worry about speed. Climb safe, develop your style, all time in the tree is good. If you are happier on 2 ropes then climb that way, build experience.

Efficiency and speed will naturally improve with time - mostly by better planning meaning you move less around the tree.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of SRT, but I get your drift.

You keep on doing what’s safe mate.

You’ve got the rest of your career to decide what’s best.

Exactly, we used to drive cars without seat belts and air bags too. I'm to young to remember but I'll bet you felt that was unnecessary at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

think you are misunderstanding the meaning of SRT, but I get your drift.

Makes sense.

For a moment there, seeing someone refer to SRT as ‘old school’ made me feel like I was a right dinosaur.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Newton said:

Exactly, we used to drive cars without seat belts and air bags too. I'm to young to remember but I'll bet you felt that was unnecessary at the time. 

I can’t remember really mate, my memory isn’t what it once was.

Looking forward to seeing you again, I’ve remembered some great stories from when I was in the trenches.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, treevolution said:

I have yet to meet anyone that climbs on two ropes yet. 

Drove past an aa approved frim yesterday and the climber was only on one rope. 

Is this allowed by the aa? 

Don’t think it matters really as most approved companies usually have a freelancer who comes in and does the assessment for them any way whilst the rest of there staff remain at a below competent standard….. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Jwow said:

Ive been working in this industry for a year now and have been learning to climb for the last 2 to 3 months. My boss and mentor is an old school climber with 25 years of experience and he learned to climb and mostly climbs SRT never had an issue in his career, but i am learning with 2 ropes as i just feel safer that way, every time ive climbed SRT i feel extremely exposed.

Obviously this is because of my lack of understanding of the tolerance of the anchor points across the different types of trees, but i still personally feel that its better to be safe than sorry when even falling from a few feet could drastically change a life.

I guess one argument is that ropes can also cause life changing accidents and having more increases those risks. Not sure which type of accidents are more common though.

Setting the bar higher as to who can enter the industry as a climber would do alot more to reduce accidents than increasing the number of ropes used.

I bet if you had enough money you could lobby for the mandatory use of SCUBA gear up a tree , weeks late Jo Hedger and Ben Rose would be flapping around aloft with two ropes and air tanks displaying to the world how easy it is.

Its not a job for stupids, sadly anyone can get fully trained and still be totally incompetent on the job.The countries with large and difficult trees dont have all these pointless rules, and do the job much sharper and more productively than their UK counterparts.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Jo Hedger and Ben Rose would be flapping around aloft with two ropes and air tanks displaying to the world how easy it is.

I am pretty sure these two where involved in demonstrating to the HSE just how safe and effective climbing on one rope is, but to no avail, the HSE had already made up their minds.

No one, including trainers and assessors pushed for, or welcomed mandatory two rope working. The end of the day, climb on two ropes or one, it’s up to you, and up to you to explain in court why you made those decisions in the event of a catastrophic injury or accident.

• Like 1