Red diesel again

eggsarascal

9 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Thanks Les for the offer, and good to know you use a rotary inverter with no issues.

No issues what so ever mate. My mate is doing a few jobs next week for me so i will see him. 

Like the one i have link below. Mega heavy they are 💪

Transwave Rotary Phase Converter MT11 11kW/15HP

Edited by topchippyles
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

15hp on a 240 Volt single phase is only about 50A so easily doable, starting  up may need some thinking about.

As long as you don't have a smart meter you might even do 30hp if the main fuse will stand 100A.

63A MCB on my board 

1 hour ago, john87 said:

Think of one of them yellow tool transformers. You have 240 into the primary side. The secondary winding has the earth connected to the centre of it, so that the output is two lines [one from each end of the secondary winding], with 110V between them, [180 degrees apart, [think sine wave] and between either end of the winding and the earth that is connected to the centre of the winding, naturally enough, you get 55v.

A split phase is the same but bigger. They run one single phase at 11,000v [from a three phase supply located elsewhere] into it and the output is 460V ac. Then all they have to do is to tap the centre of the secondary winding and earth "their" end and so you end up with two wires on the output with 460 between them [180 degrees apart, [think sine wave again]. You connect ONE of the wires to the neutral that is derived from the centre of the secondary and you get 230v.

The neutral of ALL supplies, single to your house or three phase is earthed at "their end" This is why you do not get a shock when you touch the neutal, because, as it rises to 230v so does the ground you are standing on, so there is no "potential difference" and so no current flows..

Now, you can have a broken neutral in the supply system. This is VERY dangerous, as, in a TNCS system the earth is connected to the neutral too. So, as it is no longer earthed at "their" end, it will rise in voltage just as the "live" wire does. This means that if you touch it now, and you are earthed, you WILL receive a shock..

This is the reason that you have "bonding" with all conductive bits in an installation, whether parts of the installation itself [like metal enclosures] or external earthed parts, [like a metallic gas or water pipe] all connected together, so the voltage rises in them all at the same time. Therefore, once again, you will not recieve a shock i you touch one while in contact with another..

Now, under these fault conditions, you hold a "class one" appliance [say a metal cased electric drill] and you step outside the "equipotential zone" [go outside] and step onto your lawn say, and you WILL get a shock.. This is why sockets that are used for things that will be taken outside, MUST be fed from an RCD which will cut off the supply as soon as you touch the earth [and therefore get your shock]

john..

John . You don't half know your sparks mate . 👍 Pretty much all of that is way way beyond me .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

15hp on a 240 Volt single phase is only about 50A so easily doable, starting  up may need some thinking about.

As long as you don't have a smart meter you might even do 30hp if the main fuse will stand 100A.

Why no smart meter?

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

If fuel prices carry on like they are steam will become a viable option for generating electricity.

I have seriously considered this.  I have lots of waste wood and a fairly high need for electricity.  Sadly I think the initial costs and ongoing maintenance would be just far too great.  Wood gasification might be more realistic, but still huge up front costs and a lot of hassle compared to flicking a switch.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Not by the time you include power factor and motor efficiency it is not.. More like 70 odd amp, then as you say, starting...

john..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dumper said:

I’m having three phase connected to my workshop what amp do I ask for thought 100 would do l know nothing about three phase electrics!

It does not work like that..

The DNO will ask you LOADS of questions along the lines of;

What are you connecting up?? For EACH load they will want to know load in KVA [NOT kw] how long will each load be running a day, between what hours, what type of starter DOL or star/delta and how many stops and starts an hour.

They will also want to know in particular about any single phase motors bigger than half horse power and any welders.

They will want to know what lighting and what heating too..

Once they know all this, they will calculate IF they are prepared to offer you a supply [by no means certain] and what size supply they will give you..

It all revolves around what they think they can give you without affecting other consumers as they have a legal responsibility for the quality of power they supply..

100A is the usual standard industrial supply size, it is an awful lot of power as it is 100A PER PHASE so the total power would be 400V x 1.732 [it is the square root of three, don't ask!!] x 100 = 69.3 KVA

john..