60 Days with the Gypsies (New Series)

topchippyles

22 minutes ago, nepia said:

Not all so-called gypsies are travellers; those living on fixed sites I've found to be so much closer to the rest of us in the way they live their lives:  there's a hierarchy, the boss man being king - what he says goes.

Some years ago I bought a lift trolley on ebay and had to collect it from a huge permanent site near Gloucester.  The place was immaculate - the cars were even parked neatly and symmetrically.  The guys there were very pleasant and easy to deal with and there was absolutely no attempt at hiding what was lying around the large yard or in the sheds, all of which were a hive of activity; I could have been in Wickes' car park!

I'm not defending the all-too-common bad side of things or claiming that those guys were angels but it's important to maintain a sense of proportion

The bricked in ones round here are the thieving, drug dealing, coursing bastards who are causing all the problems.

• Like 7

When I was a kid, the local council spent thousands putting in a shower block on the gypsy camp a couple of miles out of town. Within a few weeks, they had ripped out all the copper pipe and sold it and wrecked the work.

To this day, I really don't understand this, I can only guess it was a bit like the gunfight at the OK Coral and it was a battle of who would rip the copper out fastest rather than enjoying a regular hot shower and not to crap in a hole first thing.

I agree, there is good and bad in all race, religions etc but guess there is a higher concentration of bad in some of them!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, spudulike said:

When I was a kid, the local council spent thousands putting in a shower block on the gypsy camp a couple of miles out of town. Within a few weeks, they had ripped out all the copper pipe and sold it and wrecked the work.

To this day, I really don't understand this, I can only guess it was a bit like the gunfight at the OK Coral and it was a battle of who would rip the copper out fastest rather than enjoying a regular hot shower and not to crap in a hole first thing.

I agree, there is good and bad in all race, religions etc but guess there is a higher concentration of bad in some of them!

The camp in Bury-st Ed's was the same, every plot had its own brick built shower/toilet and washing up room, they wrecked it in no time, stole the copper, striped the tiles off the roofs, that's what happens when it's an open gate camp. There are two more camps up the road in Mildenhall that have a gypsy 'landlord' that live on site and they are spotless, why all councils didn't put a 'landlord' on their camps is beyond. I hasten to say there isn't a camp in B-St-Ed's anymore.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, woody paul said:

Best thing to do is watch and make your own mind up about how you see them. 

And by the way he drives a white MITSUBISHI and he knocked the bumper off, so even people on here can't tell the story right. 

He is at Appleby horse fair this week. 

I watched it. My mind is made up. Not really sure how defendable their actions are when they break into his caravan and shit on his windscreen.

Second episode is on All4 now. Neither episode will change my opinion 

• Like 2

In Ireland the news is always moaning about how they're living in squalid condition, rats, etc, and how there should be more funding or whatever.... Its like presupposes they're handicapped or something and can't do site hygiene. Why are there rats? Nobody seems to ask this. Everyone else seems to be able to live without attracting rat infestations.

• Like 5