Where do the stolen chippers go?

Mick Dempsey

Who to?
The police have very little interest in such things and seem very reluctant in pursuing these people.

Generally because acquisitive crime has less of a priority in an over burdened system ,
As a general rule the lines of enquiry are limited aren’t they , reactively attend , capture any potential forensic opportunities left at a scene. Ie a lock up broken into. Thieves are very forensically aware now so that usually doesn’t go far. CCTV is usually rubbish from an identification point of view. Usually no witnesses at night.
Stick the machines serial numbers on a data base and wait for it to get stopped.

What Matty has is specific information of the whereabouts of stolen machinery and the details of people offering said machinery. That offers a high chance of recovery and opportunity for proactive investigation as opposed to reactive. But if they don’t get offered that info to act upon we aren’t helping ourselves in the industry.

Matty had / has really valuable info there. That needs to passed on.
It’s hard to call them useless or uninterested if we harbour and don’t share info like that.

Use crime stoppers anonymous if it bothers people talking to them directly.

• Like 1

Some food for thought here for sure.

Anyone who buys a chipper without checking serial numbers etc. with the manufacturer is basically as bad as the thieves.

And in this case they became offenders themselves knowingly receiving stolen goods.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I see reports of stolen chippers almost every day.

But where do they go? I doubt Eastern Europe has much call for them, they don’t bother too much with smaller chippers, using grab lorries and stuffing the lot into a bin from what I see on the net.

I have never heard or been offered one here in France.

There has to be some sort of market or they wouldn’t get lifted so often.

So what’s happening to them? My personal theory is the engines are being stripped and sold separately.

Anyone able to shed light, or even any theories on this?

I think most of the chippers stay in the UK. What are the chances of a chipper stolen in Manchester being clocked by coincidence  in Cornwall?

I had a chipper nicked in 2008, last year in the paper was a picture of the Police investigating a sceen where someone had been found dead. There in the carport was my old chipper! I recognised it immeadiatly because I changed the location of the rear lights and the reset buttons were different colours.

The farm wasnt 20 mile from where it got nicked.

I think the reason so many get stolen is because the police really aren’t bothered about recovering small plant equipment worth a relatively small amount. I know if a few cases where plant has been stolen, and the people/persons who had taken the equipment were known and details passed on to the police-they weren’t interested and said to claim on your insurance. Unless you get caught red handed there’s very little deterring people. I’m sure there’s plenty of outfits in the country that wouldn’t mind running a dodgy chipper🤦‍♂️ 

That's about right, I know of someone how had a couple of trucks pinched he did all the ground work for police and told them were they where and they didn't want to now. Then he told them he was going to retrieve them and they may want some bags to clear stuff up, funny they got there first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chippers , diggers ,quads and various small plant items that get stolen are easy money for the thieves as said above the law are not interested in it, a farm not for from me here in Lancashire had a 12 mth old quad stolen in 2008 then in 2019 he gets a phone call from the Strathclyde constabulary saying they had recovered his quad and it was being returned to him, when it was returned it only had about 5km more on the clock than it had when nicked, it had been recovered along with about 30 others from a barn in the middle of no where, A mate had a digger nicked that he had welded some extra weight on the ballast weight when he owned it he got this digger back a couple of years ago only through finding it on a plant dealers website down south, the dealer had bought it in a auction in France but when all was investigated it had been reported stolen in Italy, so been stolen in the UK, shipped to Italy, stolen again in Italy, sold in France and shipped back to the UK and now back with its original owner, when i was after a chipper several years ago i looked at a few that had had the ID plates removed OK it might of been a genuine when i asked one lad where is the ID plate he said it was removed for painting and got miss laid, there is a lot of stolen kit out there that is doing a honest days work with someone who is not aware of machines history, Some videos on Youtube i do enjoy watching are the Auto matrix ones when they are recovering stolen items, 

9 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’m not sure about the engine thing Mick.

For instance a TW 160 is about £14k, the engine is less than £2k new.

The figures don’t make sense.

I agree about Eastern Europe, unless everyone in Romania has a chipper by now!

It’s baffling.

Beechwood in Coventry had a Forst stolen yesterday, painted in company colours. That would be very difficult to shift.

Last I heard that ones in a pretty nasty pikey site where its probably going to stay...

I reckon a lot of the nicked chippers just get used by pikeys for pikey tree work.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

There isn’t any stolen kit out there doing an honest days work Spud, that’s bollocks.

Anyone accepting ‘mislaid’ ID plates etc. just to get a good deal is as bad as the pikeys.

Ok, but how do these guys get spares and repairs? First thing the suppliers want is the serial number.