Scotland and dictator Sturgeon

Baldbloke

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I think for people of your generation it’s normal. It’s like you lot see your ineptitude as a badge of honour.

Can't possibly agree with that, it's just so scathing of ' normal ' values ..why should  only 20 ish years of  evolving development force us to be so far apart, to me the pace of change is unnaturally fast with very little scope for the needs of  nature to catch up.

You're a bit of a bit of a conundrum in that you work at the pinnacle of technology and yet on your time ashore you replenish you're spirit with the rewards of manual labour and the joy of producing something with your hands.

In no way am  I criticising  this method of achieving your dreams and I wish you success, but I think it would be more fitting for you to be conscious of the fact that this is not the norm for most folk, and that many others can achieve the same level of satisfaction just working in traditional ways without artificial crutches to buoy up their achievable goals.

I for instance get great satisfaction from stonework. which tech couldn't, and never will have a hand in, the rewards of working with stone are spiritual , are as many  long since neglected  skills / crafts are, and to me this is what needs to be passed on before it's too late.

8 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Can't possibly agree with that, it's just so scathing of ' normal ' values ..why should  only 20 ish years of  evolving development force us to be so far apart, to me the pace of change is unnaturally fast with very little scope for the needs of  nature to catch up.

You're a bit of a bit of a conundrum in that you work at the pinnacle of technology and yet on your time ashore you replenish you're spirit with the rewards of manual labour and the joy of producing something with your hands.

In no way am  I criticising  this method of achieving your dreams and I wish you success, but I think it would be more fitting for you to be conscious of the fact that this is not the norm for most folk, and that many others can achieve the same level of satisfaction just working in traditional ways without artificial crutches to buoy up their achievable goals.

I for instance get great satisfaction from stonework. which tech couldn't, and never will have a hand in, the rewards of working with stone are spiritual , are as many  long since neglected  skills / crafts are, and to me this is what needs to be passed on before it's too late.

Are you sure tech has nothing to offer the ancient crafts? 

In terms of passing on the skills, YouTube is a mighty powerful resource. Anyone can instantly look over the master's shoulder nowadays (many different masters even) and get tuition...

I've learned welding solely from watching videos. The technical secrets are all there, nothing hidden behind the guild-hall doors anymore, the rest is just practice.

• Like 5

It sounds a bit cliche these days to say oh yeah, I watched a Youtube video and just did it myself.

My son did just that by watching a few vids and the bought a tig welder and made a whole new aluminium tray and canopy for his truck to a high standard (and I am critical), next door neighbour watched a few vids and then put a slate roof on his new build also to a high standard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

Are you sure tech has nothing to offer the ancient crafts? 

In terms of passing on the skills, YouTube is a mighty powerful resource. Anyone can instantly look over the master's shoulder nowadays (many different masters even) and get tuition...

I've learned welding solely from watching videos. The technical secrets are all there, nothing hidden behind the guild-hall doors anymore, the rest is just practice.

Yes, yes and yes I do exactly the same, the ability of sharing knowledge using this tech has truly changed everything and for instance enabled me to meet you, cheers by the way👍 

I guess what I was disagreeing with is the dark side of tech where everyone including our own elected representatives seem to be using it to do us over at every opportunity with ever more elaborate and underhand methods that most of us don't have a clue about.

As ' Alexa ' was mentioned before in this thread, are any of you aware of the insidious aims of Jeff Bezos and the launching of his project ' Amazon sidewalk ' ?... If not you should look.

Every aspect of our human rights and privacy is being eroded and undermined by an organised and determined regime that has no regard for us as individual and unique beings..  I've got a sense of despair as I watch each new generation of folk sleepwalking into oblivion riding on the wave of cheap Netflix and all the other rubbish.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Yes, yes and yes I do exactly the same, the ability of sharing knowledge using this tech has truly changed everything and for instance enabled me to meet you, cheers by the way👍 

I guess what I was disagreeing with is the dark side of tech where everyone including our own elected representatives seem to be using it to do us over at every opportunity with ever more elaborate and underhand methods that most of us don't have a clue about.

As ' Alexa ' was mentioned before in this thread, are any of you aware of the insidious aims of Jeff Bezos and the launching of his project ' Amazon sidewalk ' ?... If not you should look.

Every aspect of our human rights and privacy is being eroded and undermined by an organised and determined regime that has no regard for us as individual and unique beings..  I've got a sense of despair as I watch each new generation of folk sleepwalking into oblivion riding on the wave of cheap Netflix and all the other rubbish.

• Thanks 1