Scotland and dictator Sturgeon

Baldbloke

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

There’s ‘pure’ figures and then there’s the ‘worth’ of personal satisfaction of knowing you have reduced your contribution to corporate profit of energy companies. 

Worrying about global companies profits was not a consideration in my decision. That's not to say I don;t think it important to worry about how it leads to the pollution aspects of welath disparity.

It was more a wish to be able to say I was largely self suffient in energy for the home, of course  I still depend on fossil fuel for my various modes of personal transport and the capital cost of an EV means I always will.

Anyway I had the money sitting in a bank not earning anything so went for it.

Of course had I invested the money instead at a few percent compound interest I would still have my capital sum and all the interst built up over 12 years ( at a modest 3% that £13k would build up to about £17.5k) whereas I now own a PV roof of dubious sales value and have had 60% of my electricity for free and payments of over £13k.

• Like 2

£11.3k worth - but only if you use it all no?  

Unused (back into grid) is at the token effort £rate isn’t it?

Secret being - if max return to investment and best use of tariff is the prime motivation - you gotta use it all or store it. 

Im starting to look at battery packs - should have done it much sooner - if I can push my free leccy a bit further past sunset I’ll be happy. 

Don’t think that’s right if it’s anything like the wind tariff. He’d have gotten the £11 k subsidy over the years as quarterly payments.

But, the bonus is that as long as his usage didn’t exceed what the panels generated, the consumer meter would’ve stopped so that electric generated was free to use. Meanwhile the generation meter is still operational and you’re getting paid for it. So you’re in effect being paid for electric EVEN when you’re actually using it.[emoji1303]

If you make the effort with extra wiring and careful usage you can keep the bills down while enjoying free generation.

Our electric bills range from £250 -£500 a quarter, but the quarterly subsidy payments range from £3-5k.

When the wind blows everything goes on. Dishwashers, washing machines, dryers and immersion heaters in a 4000ltr accumulator. There’s also a hot tub continuously being kept up to heat and everything else needed to run a large house.

So if you get in early enough on these green incentives it can be one of the few things that pays.

Our investment of 91k paid off after 7 years, although I’ve just had it fully rebuilt at a cost of 28 k to help it run for the remaining 13 years of subsidy. And those direct payments don’t include the free electricity we’ve enjoyed or the reduction of what we’d have been paying had we’d been so free with our usage,-but without a turbine.

11 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Don’t think that’s right if it’s anything like the wind tariff. He’d have gotten the £11 k subsidy over the years as quarterly payments.

But, the bonus is that as long as your usage doesn’t exceed what the panels are generating, the consumer meter stops so that electric generated is free to use. Meanwhile the generation meter is still operational and you’re getting paid for it. So you’re in effect being paid for electric EVEN when you’re actually using it.emoji1303.png

If you make the effort with extra wiring and careful usage you can keep the bills down while enjoying free generation.

Our electric bills range from £250 -£500 a quarter, but the quarterly subsidy payments range from £3-5k.

When the wind blows everything goes on. Dishwashers, washing machines, dryers and immersion heaters in a 4000ltr accumulator. There’s also a hot tub continuously being kept up to heat and everything else needed to run a large house.

So if you get in early enough on these green incentives it can be one of the few things that pays.

Our investment of 91k paid off after 7 years, although I’ve just had it fully rebuilt at a cost of 28 k to help it run for the remaining 13 years of subsidy. And those direct payments don’t include the free electricity we’ve enjoyed or the reduction of what we’d have been paying had we’d been so free with our usage,-but without a turbine.

All understood - we’re similar, solar PV, solar thermal and biomass (pellets) wind turbine wasn’t an option since we’re not in clean wind. I must sit down and do the numbers at some point. 

• Like 1

All understood - we’re similar, solar PV, solar thermal and biomass (pellets) wind turbine wasn’t an option since we’re not in clean wind. I must sit down and do the numbers at some point. 

We also have the biomass (logs) but the boiler is too large to get the domestic consumer subsidies. However, the 8 years saving in oil has probably covered the 24k outlay. Very reliable bit of kit.

5 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

We also have the biomass (logs) but the boiler is too large to get the domestic consumer subsidies. However, the 8 years saving in oil has probably covered the 24k outlay. Very reliable bit of kit.

I toyed with going commercial for the tariff - espesh when the domestic tariff was so delayed after the PV and commercial RHI tariffs were self evidently poorly considered, over generous and open to such flagrant abuse (NI and “we’ll fit your panels for the FiT” as case in point.)

I toyed with running an underground pipe to an outbuilding with a radiator to keep the frost (rare in Kernow) off the dogs, call it a business unit and claim business small unit rate relief. 

Too much faff at a busy time so I waited for domestic tariff. Disappointed that it was ultimately down rated from system lifespan to 7 years and the index linked element was removed - but I can’t really complain about the commercial tariff being over generous and then complain that domestic was reduced and delayed after lessons learned. 

It’s still paid back £27k on the 7 years which WAY outstrips install costs and with only a ton of pellets bought per year (£200-250ish) it’s been a nice touch. 

• Like 1

I toyed with going commercial for the tariff - espesh when the domestic tariff was so delayed after the PV and commercial RHI tariffs were self evidently poorly considered, over generous and open to such flagrant abuse (NI and “we’ll fit your panels for the FiT” as case in point.)

I toyed with running an underground pipe to an outbuilding with a radiator to keep the frost (rare in Kernow) off the dogs, call it a business unit and claim business small unit rate relief. 

Too much faff at a busy time so I waited for domestic tariff. Disappointed that it was ultimately down rated from system lifespan to 7 years and the index linked element was removed - but I can’t really complain about the commercial tariff being over generous and then complain that domestic was reduced and delayed after lessons learned. 

It’s still paid back £27k on the 7 years which WAY outstrips install costs and with only a ton of pellets bought per year (£200-250ish) it’s been a nice touch. 

I did too. Right down to getting the meter retrospectively fitted and being approved for the reduced subsidy. This ‘commercial’ aspect being excused through doing sub 7.5 k B&B. Then did the figures as well as wondering whether it’d compromise my domestic consumer tax free status on the turbine subsidy, so dropped it in case of future tax complications.
  • Like 1

Ministers want the option of enforcing face masks and vaccine passports until late September.

Scotland sadly is being ran by a power hungry control freak. If anyone ever had any doubt about how an independent Scotland would work out they should just take a look at the last 2 years. 

• Like 7

Jimmy Carr:

“When people talk about the Holocaust, they talk about the tragedy and horror of 6 million Jewish lives being lost to the Nazi war machine. But they never mention the thousands of Gypsies that were killed by the Nazis. No one ever wants to talk about that, because no one ever wants to talk about the positives."

Well I've never watched the guy perform - he looks retarded and irritating - but I had to research him after this blow up. I laughed. I suppose, if the SNP had full reign, I would be "prosecuted"... 

Screenshot_2022-02-07_at_15_44_21.jpeg.d964c59eec7083b524014620029dd33b.jpeg