Total time taken for breaks in a days work

Floclimber

I run my own business and I'm interested to know what other business's allow for break times during a day's work. Typically I work 8 or 9 hour day, I have been allowing 30mins tea break mid morning and 30 to 45 minutes lunch. It was less a year ago, and now breaks have slipped since new team leader has been full time without me on site. I think 15 minutes tea break and 30 -40mins luch is plenty fair enough. Keen to hear from others. Cheers

Edited by Floclimber

When I was hand cutting, I used to follow a pretty rigid routine, which worked well with the chap I used to work with.

Two tanks (of fuel in the saw), breakfast. Two tanks, lunch. Two tanks, second lunch/tea. One or two tanks then home.

That was a 07:30 to 16:30-17:00 day. It worked very well and we usually took breaks of 20 minutes, 30 minutes and 20 minutes. Motor manual chainsaw work is hard graft and you have to make time for refuelling yourself. I always cut quickly and put a good tonnage on the deck.

Now that I don't do so much cutting, I tend to take fewer breaks, or eat as I'm driving the forwarder. I do get annoyed if people take the piss with breaks, but I always breaked regularly and worked fast. Everyone is different.

• Like 10

In an 8 hour day I have 30minutes off for lunch. If I'm doing 10+ I sometimes take another 20 minutes later in the day but usually eat on the move if it's machine work.

I get bored if I'm having a break without food, I would rather get more done or have less breaks and a shorter overall day.

• Like 3

Boss would like us to have two 15min breaks per day, in reality it's usually 20-25min and he doesn't grumble if we're working fast. That's in a 9 or 10hr day.

I thought from some of your previous posts that you were a more mature and senior gentlemen, riding out your career in a council job or similar. This makes you sound like much more of a tree slayer in his prime. What do you do if you don’t mind me asking?

17 minutes ago, Big J said:

Two tanks (of fuel in the saw), breakfast. Two tanks, lunch. Two tanks, second lunch/tea. One or two tanks then home.

We did almost exactly this but started at 0800 and just 3 tanks after lunch and home.

Machine driving was different and breaks shorter but the machines were uncomfortable, no glass, no heater so two artics extract and load and homeward. I haven't driven a modern machine with air conditioning for 15 years but the only reason to have a break then was boredom really.

More recently doing arb groundwork, as two old men, a half hour break in the morning and 3/4 to an hour break at midday then crack on to finish by 3-4.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I thought from some of your previous posts that you were a more mature and senior gentlemen, riding out your career in a council job or similar. This makes you sound like much more of a tree slayer in his prime. What do you do if you don’t mind me asking?

In my prime, without a doubt!

Just a tree worker. Work for a local Tree Surgeon doing a mix of domestic arb and bigger contract stuff.

Between that it's processing or splitting or delivering logs, occasionally help with milling.

I don't think that I'm riding out my time, 46 and working harder, faster and cleverer than the youngsters, on the ground and off it!

• Like 1