Barber Chair

gobbypunk

51 minutes ago, AHPP said:

What's a Vancouver V please?

Probably be easier to Google it or search on here, I'm sure it's been talked about before with pictures.

Not the easiest to explain in writing, althou a pretty simple, quick and easy cut to do.

Althou as no hinge it will only fall the way it's leaning.

Basically put a V in where gub should be at front of tree ( I'm sure years ago when I 1dt done tickets u actually put 2 gubs in) at a slight downhill angle and a normal back cut level with the top off the V s, and the tree should fall in line with the point off the v

Agreed Matty, they can be a problem when the sap is rising & I have had a few try and split over the last couple of weeks. Sometimes it is better to stay with them and power though, but only if you have the saw and chain up to the job & your comfortable doing it.

• Like 4

Off coarse u could always ratchet strap/or wrap chain or rope round the butt too, the old skool way and just back cut as normal.

How they done it back in day before chainsaws when only had cross cuts

If stem has no room to move it can't split and chair on u

Even a good option as a belt and braces back up to any off the cuts already mentioned, if tree looks like it may have other defects or a dodgy site with less than ideal escape routes.

For the seconds it takes

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Off coarse u could always ratchet strap/or wrap chain or rope round the butt too, the old skool way and just back cut as normal.

How they done it back in day before chainsaws when only had cross cuts

If stem has no room to move it can't split and chair on u

Even a good option as a belt and braces back up to any off the cuts already mentioned, if tree looks like it may have other defects or a dodgy site with less than ideal escape routes.

For the seconds it takes

I often wrap a few turns of rope around to capture any splitting , choker chain works well if you have one to hand !

Probably be easier to Google it or search on here, I'm sure it's been talked about before with pictures.
Not the easiest to explain in writing, althou a pretty simple, quick and easy cut to do.
Althou as no hinge it will only fall the way it's leaning.

Basically put a V in where gub should be at front of tree ( I'm sure years ago when I 1dt done tickets u actually put 2 gubs in) at a slight downhill angle and a normal back cut level with the top off the V s, and the tree should fall in line with the point off the v

Searched without any luck.

Like this?
IMG_1619126313.269638.jpg