Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cessna

What size trees need a felling licence in woodland?d

Recommended Posts

I  need to cut down a  5mtr wide  x about 30 mtrs  long strip of hazel and  Ash trees to make room for storing another row of cordwood at my wood yard. 

What is the max diameter of trees  I can cut down without applying for a felling licence, I would say the max diameter of the Ash in the above strip are about 8" diameter.  I am only asking as strip of wood is very visible from a well used public footpath which is about 25mtrs away .  I do firewood  but have no knowledge of felling licence requirements etc.  Many thanks         

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can fell 5 cubic meters of timber per calendar quarter but you can only sell 3 cube from this. This quality does not include the brash just the product timber. There is no size requirement, the quantity could come from 1 tree or 20. Check for tpo and conservation area protection before proceeding.

check the rules as I may be out of date.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trees over 8cm require a felling licence, and as the post above says you can take the 5 cube per calendar, have a read on the FC site about felling licences or better still get your local FC guy there and get his addvise, And for gods sake dont think that they wont know as they will, we cant do very much on the ground these days due to a very clever thing called, Google satalite view, I have just compiled a selection of satalite views starting in 2009 till present and its shocked me at what has changed in that 12 year,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Will C said:

You can fell 5 cubic meters of timber per calendar quarter but you can only sell 3 cube from this. This quality does not include the brash just the product timber. There is no size requirement, the quantity could come from 1 tree or 20. Check for tpo and conservation area protection before proceeding.

check the rules as I may be out of date.

You may only sell 2m3under the exemption for felling 5m3 in a calendar quarter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 22:08, cessna said:

I  need to cut down a  5mtr wide  x about 30 mtrs  long strip of hazel and  Ash trees to make room for storing another row of cordwood at my wood yard. 

What is the max diameter of trees  I can cut down without applying for a felling licence, I would say the max diameter of the Ash in the above strip are about 8" diameter.  I am only asking as strip of wood is very visible from a well used public footpath which is about 25mtrs away .  I do firewood  but have no knowledge of felling licence requirements etc.  Many thanks         

It depends what country you are in. You don't give a location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So could the OP go in and selectively thin every tree under 8cm dbh, then go back in and fell 5 cube  ( about 4T ish) wait till next quarter and fell another 5cube?

 

Depending on the wood but by the time u thin it might not be that much left if larger stems are only 8".

And even at 8" dunno how tall they are or how dense the stems are, but will take a fair few to make up ur 5 cube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

So could the OP go in and selectively thin every tree under 8cm dbh, then go back in and fell 5 cube  ( about 4T ish) wait till next quarter and fell another 5cube?

 

Yes, assuming they've not felled anything else licensable that quarter. In my experience the FC would rather not process a felling licence if you can make use of your exemptions.

 

I would take some photos and notes just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.