What size trees need a felling licence in woodland?d

cessna

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Forestry commission I think. I've had it on my computer for ages but went through direct.gov and it gave me the link to that 

OK. No offence but I'd prefer not to start waving that around if you had just cobbled it together yourself.

A clietn had a run-in with FC 2 years ago they came out and measured stumps and brash diameters to piece together removed volume. It was nip-and-tuck. Crucially they did (and still do) disregard any brahs below 75mm diameter. It can be a right pain to estimate tree lengths, you need to be able to deduct the sub 75 leader length from the height.

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

Yes, assuming they've not felled anything else licensable that quarter. In my experience the FC would rather not process a felling licence if you can make use of your exemptions.

I would take some photos and notes just in case.

Aye I meant to say keep a photo record with dates incase any bother

8 hours ago, Stere said:

I meant the volume calculator. But now as you mention it, there's more than one goverment in UK and our one (Scotland) saw fit 2 years ago to repeal the Forestry Act and start again. Advice was being handed out to someone on Arbtalk last year based on english law but fortunately I checked on location and the guy was in Scotland so he got revised advice and was saved from some needless restrictions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

I meant the volume calculator.

The calculator is linked to from the page Stere has posted. ( https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tree-felling-licence-when-you-need-to-apply#estimating-timber-volume )

The problem is a few years ago the government moved round and renamed all their forestry pages so there's lots of broken links online. I book marked all the relevant FC pages (some were hard to find such as exactly how you measure your tree) but there links are all gone as the pages are all www.gov.uk rather than www.forestry.gov.uk

5 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

The calculator is linked to from the page Stere has posted. ( https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tree-felling-licence-when-you-need-to-apply#estimating-timber-volume )

The problem is a few years ago the government moved round and renamed all their forestry pages so there's lots of broken links online. I book marked all the relevant FC pages (some were hard to find such as exactly how you measure your tree) but there links are all gone as the pages are all www.gov.uk rather than www.forestry.gov.uk

Thanks. To be honest I am hoping not to have to deal with Felling Licenses ever again, although the rules are fairly simple.. The FC site used to be as treasure trove of documents, I remember it being vandalised a few years ago and loads of stuff disappearing.