Ray Mears

sime42

22 hours ago, Stubby said:

Did you notice the burger van that follows him around ?  He is , how can I put it , " well covered " .  He sits by a lake in the middle of nowhere and manages to catch a fish about3 inches long and says that will sustain him until morning .  Ok ...😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’ve met Ray and he’s a really nice, unassuming bloke.

I’m a Bear fan as well, I just think a lot of what he does is deliberately more scripted for media impact.

Pretty sure they are both the real deal, just different styles.

The closest I’ve got to wild camping is probably when I pitched up next to @eggsarascal at one of Jonesie’s shows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Because he is white, middle-aged and male?

No not really, just that he’s done his thing, surviving off the land in Australia, the rainforest etc. We’ve seen it.

He does a bit of nature stuff but you just know he wants to eat it!

• Haha 1

I like Ed Stafford and the dude who used to present Tribe, Bruce Parry.

I remember in Tribe he had to put his hand in a stump full of Bullet ants.  You could just tell from the expressions that it was something he shouldn’t have done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Before I got in to trees I spent 6 years working for the same company both Bruce and Ed had previously worked for running jungle expeditions. Mostly in Belize, but also did a few in Borneo and one trip Ghana.

For me it started as a child with the original - Bush Tucker Man, Les Higgins, and then Ray. Have to agree Bear always seems to be playing up to the cameras and suggesting some really silly options that really aren’t the best option if your real priority is survival!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Boo Who? said:

Before I got in to trees I spent 6 years working for the same company both Bruce and Ed had previously worked for running jungle expeditions. Mostly in Belize, but also did a few in Borneo and one trip Ghana.

For me it started as a child with the original - Bush Tucker Man, Les Higgins, and then Ray. Have to agree Bear always seems to be playing up to the cameras and suggesting some really silly options that really aren’t the best option if your real priority is survival!

When I was 11 or 12  I did my " backwoodsman " badge in the scouts .  I built a bivi from sticks and ferns  and slept in it for 2 nights . Baked a hedgehog in clay and eat it .  Then got picked up by my Mum and went home . Does that count ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1