Ray Mears

sime42

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’ve met Ray and he’s a really nice, unassuming bloke.

I’m a Bear fan as well, I just think a lot of what he does is deliberately more scripted for media impact.

Pretty sure they are both the real deal, just different styles.

The closest I’ve got to wild camping is probably when I pitched up next to @eggsarascal at one of Jonesie’s shows.

Where I come from that is more commonly known as drunken camping.

• Haha 1

I've just bought and started reading ray Mears autobiography (my outdoor life), I like ray as he is easy watching and explains things easily. He also helped to plant the seed for me to build a small boat for canals / rivers to watch wildlife from a different perspective. He is also quite good at judo. Another guy I like watching is Steve backshall, he knows his stuff as well. He's also quite good at judo.

• Like 2

When I was 11 or 12  I did my " backwoodsman " badge in the scouts .  I built a bivi from sticks and ferns  and slept in it for 2 nights . Baked a hedgehog in clay and eat it .  Then got picked up by my Mum and went home . Does that count ?
You certainly get some bonus points for baking and eating the hedgehog! What did it taste like?

Just now, sime42 said:
36 minutes ago, Stubby said:
When I was 11 or 12  I did my " backwoodsman " badge in the scouts .  I built a bivi from sticks and ferns  and slept in it for 2 nights . Baked a hedgehog in clay and eat it .  Then got picked up by my Mum and went home . Does that count ?

You certainly get some bonus points for baking and eating the hedgehog! What did it taste like?

Chicken/pork .

• Like 1

I’ve got lofty wisemans book as well but to compare him to RM is like comparing apples and pears. I think LW was a little unkind, he is a survivalist whereas RM is a backcountry man. RM also studies the native’s ways. There was one scene where he reintroduced fire by friction to some indigenous folk who had forgotten how to do it and they had tears in their eyes.
You would doubtless have a more “comfortable “ experience with RM than LW, but perhaps more calories with the latter

• Like 3

No not really, just that he’s done his thing, surviving off the land in Australia, the rainforest etc. We’ve seen it.
He does a bit of nature stuff but you just know he wants to eat it!

I'm slightly concerned that he may disappear from our screens sometime soon. After seeing him mention the white, middle-aged and male thing. It wouldn't be a surprise if he did get axed. Maybe as you say he is also in danger of having saturated his market. The mass market anyway. I reckon us diehard fans will keep following him wherever he ends up, maybe an obscure cable channel or just YouTube. It sounds like he still has a vast amount of knowledge to be imparted to anyone who's interested.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Not fancy 223 ??. Super versatile round.

.223 and .222 are pretty much the same although the former is now more popular, also being the Nato 5.56mm designation. Many years ago the .22 Hornet was the preferred round in that caliber and was taken over by the Treble 2.

10 minutes ago, roboted said:

.223 and .222 are pretty much the same although the former is now more popular, also being the Nato 5.56mm designation. Many years ago the .22 Hornet was the preferred round in that caliber and was taken over by the Treble 2.

Yeah I’d agree in many respects. 222 will do anything you want in the field. I also do a bit of range work and used to do PR with an Armalon converted 700 in 233 so appreciate  the ability to push out a bit further with the heavier 223 bullets  that are available. 

• Like 1