Poll on two rope technique.

Mick Dempsey

Are you using the new two rope technique when you climb?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using two rope technique when you climb?

• Yes, nearly all the time.
    • Almost never.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 16:57

If you cut your anchor out of the tree you are in a world of trouble, irrelevant of what else you are tied to.
Paddy - whilst you seem keen to try and prove that it would be a much better outcome if you had another anchor-point you are entirely missing the point that Skyhuck made... If you have two anchor points the chance of you accidentally cutting one of them off whilst tied to it has doubled! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

If you cut your anchor out of the tree you are in a world of trouble, irrelevant of what else you are tied to.
Paddy - whilst you seem keen to try and prove that it would be a much better outcome if you had another anchor-point you are entirely missing the point that Skyhuck made... If you have two anchor points the chance of you accidentally cutting one of them off whilst tied to it has doubled! 

Yea, that's correct. Not going to debate that. It was more a case of being told that my lack of experience means that I'm being an idiot and not realising that having an anchor and being pulled on would cut me in half which isn't correct except for a positional strop 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Having two anchors does make it more likely for you to do that though, you're right 

If you put that much force on your harness bridge it would pull out and crush your pelvis before some thing else snapped. Paddy your a idiot and you are boring me now, I’m out as you can’t argue with idiots- they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I was that guy Bob, turning up on jobs in central London with 50 mètres of triple plat, à Willans harness and a couple of stoners in the the van, looking up at something way out of my skill set.

So I got on with it and expensive mistakes were made.

The good old Willans. I  climbed on a full body one since the early 1990s. Had to retire it this year. (Too old to lolar) and you can't get the full body one now. Personally, I found them bloody comfortable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Will C said:

If you put that much force on your harness bridge it would pull out and crush your pelvis before some thing else snapped. Paddy your a idiot and you are boring me now, I’m out as you can’t argue with idiots- they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Sorry will but that's not how physics works...

1 minute ago, Pete Mctree said:

Humble is an admiral trait Paddy and you are definitely not that. - you have been found wanting and yet your pride still places you above those who pose a structured argument. 
I really don’t care how you perceive me or my options, however I care how others perceive your flawed and myopic views of this industry. You need to sort yer shit out and stop posting stuff that has serious implications on others lives. 

(Bugger I said I was going to ignore your bullshit )

I'm not telling people what to do though? I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. Are we arguing that if you have two tie in anchors on two ropes and you cut one off then you're going to get cut in half if it drops or that you will get crushed if you have a positional strop on and you cut off your anchor? Because I agree with the last one? 

It's not here telling people what to or what not to do. I just expressed my opinion on 2 rope from my experience and I was told that my inexperience shows I have no idea what I am talking about which is garbage when we are talking about a theoretical situation anyway. 

If someone proves me wrong I will accept that, but it's not been done so far. One comment was saying that the major cause of injury was people cutting off the part of the tree that they were anchored too which isn't one report on falls from height (not that it doesn't happen) The other was that if you have your two top anchors tied into the rope bridge that if you cut one off the harness would crush you which simply isn't true. 

Just to clarify this is what I'm on about: DSC_0275.thumb.JPG.cc09d02e262dd1101d388b42fdf1e80d.JPG

There's no way that the force between the anchor in the tree at the top and the 1 ton log at the bottom is imparted into a crushing force into the harness. But I'm being called an idiot and told I'm inexperienced but it's basic physics? Yes, it wouldn't be comfortable, yes you might end up with a broken arm or other appendage or slammed against the tree but I would rather that than have no upper anchor and just plummet with the 1 ton log and become pulp

Is the argument here just caused by people being on about different things? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

34 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

Humble is an admiral trait Paddy and you are definitely not that. - you have been found wanting and yet your pride still places you above those who pose a structured argument. 
I really don’t care how you perceive me or my options, however I care how others perceive your flawed and myopic views of this industry. You need to sort yer shit out and stop posting stuff that has serious implications on others lives. 

(Bugger I said I was going to ignore your bullshit )

The combined centuries of wisdom and experience, tested by the inquisitive open mindedness of ‘fresh eyes’ on the forum make for some serious checks and balances.