Poll on two rope technique.

Mick Dempsey

Are you using the new two rope technique when you climb?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using two rope technique when you climb?

• Yes, nearly all the time.
    • Almost never.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 16:57

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Is the argument here just caused by people being on about different things? 

There have been a few misunderstandings in this thread caused by terminology mismatches (especially SRT vs single anchor) but the main problem is nobody can be arsed to read your very long posts that argue the toss about absolutely everything. I speak as a quite patient theorist, someone happier than most to argue the toss and you're even tiring me out. I can't even remember what this thread is about.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Just to clarify this is what I'm on about: DSC_0275.thumb.JPG.cc09d02e262dd1101d388b42fdf1e80d.JPG

There's no way that the force between the anchor in the tree at the top and the 1 ton log at the bottom is imparted into a crushing force into the harness. But I'm being called an idiot and told I'm inexperienced but it's basic physics? Yes, it wouldn't be comfortable, yes you might end up with a broken arm or other appendage or slammed against the tree but I would rather that than have no upper anchor and just plummet with the 1 ton log and become pulp

Is the argument here just caused by people being on about different things? 

There's going to be nothing left of that setup if a 1 ton log falls any kind of distance. 1 metre fall would equal 9.8kN of force. I'm guessing it would be a lot more of a fall than 1 metre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

There have been a few misunderstandings in this thread I can't even remember what this thread is about.

I baked a Hippopotamus , turnip and goldfish  quiche yesterday . It was lovely . 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Would probably been better without the turnip🤣🤣

53 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I baked a Hippopotamus , turnip and goldfish  quiche yesterday . It was lovely . 🙂

24 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Would probably been better without the turnip🤣🤣

Better without the hippo you trophy hunting murderererer!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mesterh said:

There's going to be nothing left of that setup if a 1 ton log falls any kind of distance. 1 metre fall would equal 9.8kN of force. I'm guessing it would be a lot more of a fall than 1 metre. 

Yea I completely agree, but in the situation that I've cut away my anchor, I'd rather take the risk and hope the log breaks away first and the second anchor holds so I'm thrown around but don't hit the ground than there be no second and I'm just dragged out. That was my only point 👍

On 05/02/2021 at 22:11, Khriss said:

Printed this. Put it in every office on Network.  And.......  K

On 05/02/2021 at 21:09, skyhuck said:

TwoRopeHierarchy-web.png

Morning all, I have now have clarification from my colleague (who published the above in a previous ARB Mag.)

This diagram(?) has been superseded by the ICOP2 & TG1,, requiring the use of a backup system essentially at all times, subsequent to a directive from HSE (whose preference was for "2 ropes" at all times of course.)

Hence please use it (the diagram) very cautiously and where Point 3 is considered the absolute exception and, according to TG1, only when using a rope advance technique when you are static and secure standing on a branch doing the changeover (see p.32).

Thanks all and my intention is not to open a debate here as HSE have decreed the above, and ICOP2 / TG1 are approved, and endorsed, and published. It was to clarify the current 'status' of the above diagram.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
spelling
  • Thanks 1