Poll on two rope technique.

Mick Dempsey

Are you using the new two rope technique when you climb?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using two rope technique when you climb?

• Yes, nearly all the time.
    • Almost never.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/02/21 at 16:57

12 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

SRT is just a different method, your still tying the same knots, doing the same thing, just the rope layout has changed. How do you prove competency? 

Easy, employ hundreds of highly paid chair polishers to generate these ever-increasing and much needed paper pushing/certification schemes, run them through organisations that have little to no idea or experience in the field and as we all know this will make climbing a much safer occupation.:011:

Start the car :beer::driver:

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Have a look at that AA report I posted a page or so back, most of the falls were caused by improperly tied knots, no end stop knot, clip in failure or cutting the rope with a chainsaw. 

Theoretically with two anchors, if you cut the bit you're anchored to if you had both anchors on that bit then you're going down just like if you only had one anchor. If you have 2 separate anchors and you cut the bit one anchor is on then the other anchor might hold you and the bit you cut off depending on what you chose as an anchor. Then you can cut that line free. 

https://www.trees.org.uk/News-Blog/Latest-News/HSE-Fall-from-Height-Incidents-involving-arborists

Quite a lot of Approved Contractors in that list   :/   K

I have a theory that some of the crap, slow climber move into training/HSE and then spend their time coming up with ways of making the good climber as crap as they were. Just in an effort to get even for all the shit they got for being useless.

I could be wrong, but it does kinda fit.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Have a look at that AA report I posted a page or so back, most of the falls were caused by improperly tied knots, no end stop knot, clip in failure or cutting the rope with a chainsaw. 

Theoretically with two anchors, if you cut the bit you're anchored to if you had both anchors on that bit then you're going down just like if you only had one anchor. If you have 2 separate anchors and you cut the bit one anchor is on then the other anchor might hold you and the bit you cut off depending on what you chose as an anchor. Then you can cut that line free. 
https://www.trees.org.uk/News-Blog/Latest-News/HSE-Fall-from-Height-Incidents-involving-arborists

It’s more likely to tear you in ****************ing half....
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Like Dave says, anecdotally, I have heard a lot of falling out of trees is down to larger companies in the sector and utility firms pushing just trained youngsters up trees they’re not experienced enough to do. 

Finally, someone addresses the root cause of what this shit-show is actually all about.

• Like 7

It shouldn't. No ropes are tied to either side of you. Unless you have the ropes wrapped around your torso you will just be between the two? 

Christ your a clever babe aren’t you??
With your years of experience and health and safety expert Khris who last time I checked was climbing on a non CE marked device and lowering rope I’m pretty sure between you two that you could run and dictate to hse where we are all going wrong... I’m at the end of my patience with you to so I’m off this thread and forum for the future.. good bye and **************** off.
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Christ your a clever babe aren’t you??
With your years of experience and health and safety expert Khris who last time I checked was climbing on a non CE marked device and lowering rope I’m pretty sure between you two that you could run and dictate to hse where we are all going wrong... I’m at the end of my patience with you to so I’m off this thread and forum for the future.. good bye and **************** off.

I wonder sometimes if you have the ability to discuss things with people normally? 

My point was if you have an anchor in the tree and your other anchor has fallen you're going to have a rough ride but you will be strung between the two if they're connected to your rope bridge or to a bridge ring? It's not experience it's just logic? 

But by all means, throw a hissy fit? I'm not getting shitty with anyone, that's on you.

11 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I wonder sometimes if you have the ability to discuss things with people normally? 

My point was if you have an anchor in the tree and your other anchor has fallen you're going to have a rough ride but you will be strung between the two if they're connected to your rope bridge or to a bridge ring? It's not experience it's just logic? 

But by all means, throw a hissy fit? I'm not getting shitty with anyone, that's on you.

Have you actually dismantled any trees of a decent size?

10 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Have you actually dismantled any trees of a decent size?

Yes I have actually 60ft beech was probably the biggest so far. I just feel like if you're going to cut the top off that has your anchor I would rather be anchored in somewhere else than just fall 40/50ft. Either the bit falls on your side and you get strung between two anchors with the pulling force being taken up by the bridge ring or the rope bridge itself or it falls away and the rope goes into the crotch and pulls you up the tree and you get caught in a crotch which would be quite bad. Questionable as to if it would be worse than falling 50ft whilst being tied to a 1 tonne weight

• Haha 1