Felling trees for personal use

Marcus 3000

Do I need/ is it possible to apply for a felling licence to fell trees for personal use on land owned by natural resources wales? These are commercial plantations, regularly clear-felled and definitely not protected. 

Or is it more reguular jsut to scavenge from the ground? Avoiding their timber stacks of course.

Thanks

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you don’t own them then no you can’t touch them, you will be prosecuted for criminal damage , theft and what ever myriad of health and safety breaches they can catch you on ..I would also imagine you would need a gleaning permit for the removal of any fallen timber and can be prosecuted if caught .. if you own a wood you can cut 5 cubic meters per calendar quarter without a licence though.

• Like 5

They used to sell scavenger tickets from the forestry commission,  so people could go and do what you are talking about, sadly this hasn't been available for a few years, guess the H&S stuff just did it in.

I have seen a few issued this year mind ... after I stopped a few guys and asked wtf they thought they where doing I had a gleaning permit waved in my face [emoji38]

An alternative way to look at it is that the trees are owned by a public body and you are the public so the trees are yours. The reality is that, however much you subscribe to that line of thinking, the state forest owners, the state police, the state courts and the state bailiffs subscribe to the more commonly held view that you should keep your peasant hands off their stuff.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Huh sounds pretty crap. Anybody had any direct contact with getting a permit off NRW? Theres a form on their website.

So most people selling firewood do a deal direct with a company that is felling then?

Not sure Im particularly planning to get into selling was really just for personal use but I'm interested 

11 minutes ago, Marcus 3000 said:

Huh sounds pretty crap. Anybody had any direct contact with getting a permit off NRW? Theres a form on their website.

So most people selling firewood do a deal direct with a company that is felling then?

Not sure Im particularly planning to get into selling was really just for personal use but I'm interested 

Its not crappy. You cant have every man and his dog wandering around a managed forest helping themselves to whatever they see fit with whatever tools they see fit. 

Most people who are buying FC for firewood will be buying in Arctic loads, ie over 20 tons at a time. They will not be remotely interested in selling you a few sticks here and there. 

If you're wanting a few sticks for your own hobby use then try and get in with your local tree surgeons and see if they will sell you their arb waste. There is also a tip site on here, where you can enter your details to receive free or paid for logs. 

• Like 5

Pretty crappy? Regardless who owns them they are not yours.

Imagine you were in Essex near one of the fields used to store new imported cars, you can't just go in that field and take one simply because there are hundreds there. Same with with trees - the value is less but the principle is the same.

Another way to look at the issue is that if everyone took the attitude, council land, council trees, we own it, I'll take it, then pretty quick there will be no trees left. Often the dead wood on the ground can be left for wildlife

• Like 6