Sthil 462 or Husky 572

allseasons

Ive used both over the last 2 or so years the 462 is a 20" bar saw IMHO and would recommend the 572 to running a 24" as its maximum. This is my findings with these saws 
I'm intrigued on your rating, what would you say for a 461? I think climbing a 461 takes 25" just fine but maybe a 20" would be more productive on the ground?

2 hours ago, doobin said:

MS462 is exceptionally well balanced with a 20" bar, but mine is happy pulling more if required.

Put bigger drive sprocket on, then. Bit more whizz  ? K

Edited by Khriss
( never liked long bars on saws ? )

19 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:
23 hours ago, steve collins said:
Ive used both over the last 2 or so years the 462 is a 20" bar saw IMHO and would recommend the 572 to running a 24" as its maximum. This is my findings with these saws 

I'm intrigued on your rating, what would you say for a 461? I think climbing a 461 takes 25" just fine but maybe a 20" would be more productive on the ground?

the 572 has a 5mm more stroke compared to the 462

The 461 is perfect on a 25" a 20" is fun to use!! it will cut faster but more cutters will come into contact with dirt etc if your not careful

I can't say i've used a 462, i think the firm i do work for has 441s and 661s but i have a 572XP and love it. Great saw, very powerful yet very smooth. The anti-vibration is really good on it, very nice solid build quality. I like the easy choke/kill switch, very good ergonomics for me. I bought mine very lightly used and not had any issues with it. Starts very easy, has a much better starter "feel" than the Stihls i've used.

It came with a 20" bar, but it generally runs a 28", which it pulls perfectly.

I fitted it with a full wrap handle, big felling dogs and larger clutch cover. I'd definitely recommend it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

One thing i will say for this saw though, is that it's loud!

20200830_190519.jpg

20200830_190442.jpg

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys sadly the 500i has gone back yet again as the piston has gone for the second time so I suspect it wasn’t fixed properly first time. I like the fact the 461 is lighter the problem is now my local supplier doesn’t have any hush’s in till end of month may be later so may go with the sthil and put the 500i issues down to bad luck. 

I’ve never heard of any one having issues with the 500i ! only issue Or niggle I have is the air filter needs cleaning twice or at least once a day... I know guys who use them on big outside Sitka and will kill a saw a year but have not had an issue with the 500i and he said it was the first saw he’s owned that hasn’t needed a rebuild in 12 months!
Any ways 462 is a great saw , light, very responsive and handles nice in hand although the trigger and handle bother me as they feel like they may fall apart and some thing is not quite right there but 20” is what it feels best on to me and is a great saw.
572 is more of a 24”saw , definitely feels like it’s made to carry a 24” but is a heavier than the 462 and you can feel it in the handling.

My 500 went back to Stihl when it wouldn’t start. I suspected no fuel. It wasn’t coughing a fuel cloud out of the spark plug hole like a working carbed machine would but then again I don’t know if a working injected machine would do that anyway. Stihl said it was an ECU fault though they replaced the injector as well. It’s been fine since. Pukka saw.

10 hours ago, allseasons said:

Thanks guys sadly the 500i has gone back yet again as the piston has gone for the second time so I suspect it wasn’t fixed properly first time. I like the fact the 461 is lighter the problem is now my local supplier doesn’t have any hush’s in till end of month may be later so may go with the sthil and put the 500i issues down to bad luck. 

Was that you i passed on the A3 yesterday? ?