The Cooking Thread

AHPP

• 4 weeks later...

On 18/04/2023 at 22:35, AHPP said:

8E83F166-9EB8-4780-8670-8CF6E0A187F2.thumb.jpeg.f3114a55a6572c72e8a279de10ec043d.jpeg

Made some pesto with wild garlic, peanuts and cheddar. 

We always make wild garlic pesto with pine nuts. It’s incredible. Also- make yourself some some garlic salt next season- it’s amazing. The other thing my foraging girlfriend makes is wild garlic butter. It’s exceptional spread on bbq venison, for example, to stop it drying out too much. 

You’re a man who will appreciate this I’m sure. Industrial stock manufacturing. 10kg of lamb bones plus garlic, onions and sea moss in a pan with a tap and filter.  This will settle in the takeaways tubs to around 80% stock and 20% fat on top. Use the whole tub into a pan, or snaffle the dripping off the top for frying veg in.

Good stock, as far as I’m concerned, is THE key to making any recipe into something exceptional. OXO cubes just don’t cut it, not even close. 

IMG_1989.jpeg

IMG_1987.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I appreciate and approve. What I don’t do though is have the freezer on very often. Nor would I boil stock on gas. I’m not made of money you know. 

Gas is dirt cheap for cooking. It’s central heating that eats it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doobin said:

Gas is dirt cheap for cooking. It’s central heating that eats it. 

My cooker runs on bottled propane, I tell you hwat. And I'm tight. Woodburner or the kelly kettle bowl for long boils.

Cept we took the opportunity to stock up with a refill which was needed plus  2 extra 34Kg cylinders of propane when oil prices went nuts after Russia invaded Ukraine. And, guess what, over here at least, in N.I., Calors prices were contractually fixed, guessing for a 12 month period, so we only paid the fixed pre-conflict cost.

And a 34Kg cyl lasts us a 12 month, near enough exactly.. 

Cos, I know, cos for a couple of years in a row, the cylinder ran out on Christmas day!

And, for Gawds sake, dont tell me freezers are expensive to run, since the wife keeps 3 filled, a 21 cu ft chest freezer outside, an full size upright one in the utility, plus the Yankee style  fridge/freezer in the kitchen  (and it used to be 4!, until the other comrade 21 cu ft outside shit itsel)

Now need to get over the mountain and raid some of the massive quantities of wild garlic that has invaded the hedge bottoms around the brothers garden.

Edited by difflock

• 2 months later...

I'm about to lash up a carbonara with fresh pasta. That means using four egg yolks and being left with four spare whites. I made zabaglione (under close instruction) years ago and I swear I did it with whites but the internet disagrees with me and says yolks. So what can I do with four egg whites and some sherry? Fold it into a stiff mix and poach was first thought but I fear it will end up a watery mess.