The Cooking Thread

AHPP

IMG_1650740537.121734.thumb.jpg.331a6232add61af219817a5bc0852648.jpg

Egg fried rice. Fry three eggs, spazzed round a bit with a wooden spoon. Add rice from last night that everybody keeps telling me will give me botulism. Chilli, garlic and pepper. A slash of sesame oil, the secret of my oriental success. Shake up a dash of soy sauce and some vinegar in a jar and put that in at the end to clean the pan. If I was going to add MSG, I’d probably do it at the jar stage.

• Like 1

I don't want to tell you how to live your life, but next time, consider frying your rice in your aromatics first, then push the rice to the edges of the pan to make a well in the centre - a well as wide as the walls of your pan and the adhesion of your rice will allow - and crack your eggs directly into it. Let them set for a short while before stirring, occasionally, drawing a little bit more of the rice into the egg as it cooks. You might like to add a little toasted sesame oil to the eggs at any time during this stage.

It should go without saying that the best fried rice is made with shredded chicken skin, fried until crispy with the chilli and garlic before adding the rice. The sort of leftover skin you scrape from the backbone, neck, and around the cloaca of a roast chicken carcass before boiling the bones for stock. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll take instruction if it's as good as your idea for the chicken skin. That sounds excellent.

I'm generally nervous about putting garlic in early. I've overcooked some a couple of times recently.

The easiest way to burn garlic is to not use enough of it. Simply quadruple the quantity of garlic in the pan, and it is four times harder to burn. 

With regards to chickens... they are the same as potatoes. All the goodness and all the flavour is in the skin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1