The end of 'red diesel'?

richy_B

13 hours ago, dumper said:

Bring it on those of us with tanks and an exemption can then claim back the tax on the white diesel and then retail the white to locals for cash undercutting the fuel stations and giving us a good holiday four times a year! Luvly jubly!!!!

They can be that stupid ....can They?

11 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

Wouldn't it of been easier to make tank dipping part of the mot. Any trace of red, the vehicle is scrapped and a hefty fine for the owner. Also I agree with whoever said, completely scrap red diesel and claim backs on white, and just have a level playing field for everyone.

What happens when you buy a used vehicle and you've only used white but the previous owner has chucked red in it?

12 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

What happens when you buy a used vehicle and you've only used white but the previous owner has chucked red in it?

Nothing, the white would 'Water down' what red was in the tank, VOSA or whatever they are called now wouldn't take it as a positive reading.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Nothing, the white would 'Water down' what red was in the tank, VOSA or whatever they are called now wouldn't take it as a positive reading.

Was always under the impression once red has been used it stains the system for "life"

I have been dipped for red diesel once which was about 8 years ago now. A VOSA pull in setup off the M27 at the services. Vehicle came down the slip way and overtook me, slowed down infront and put its follow me sign on... They checked the trailer wasn't stolen, new machine on the back wasn't stolen, checked my truck & load around, checked my fuel, asked if I had a tacho then sent me on my way...

4 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

Was always under the impression once red has been used it stains the system for "life"

I have been dipped for red diesel once which was about 8 years ago now. A VOSA pull in setup off the M27 at the services. Vehicle came down the slip way and overtook me, slowed down infront and put its follow me sign on... They checked the trailer wasn't stolen, new machine on the back wasn't stolen, checked my truck & load around, checked my fuel, asked if I had a tacho then sent me on my way...

I've heard that as well, think its a bit of an urban myth. Also heard stories about them checking the fuel filter but don't actually think they're allowed to. Cherry doesn't stain white 25 litre drums when you transfer it in them, why would it stain a metal or plastic fuel tank?

If its not showing when they dip you then you've no worries. Used to know a few farmers in Devon who ran old Golfs etc on Cherry, if they were dipped and it was confiscated it was no great loss, car was usually run ragged anyway. Point to Point races are often the HMRC's happy hunting ground for dipping tanks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

Just after Christmas i had to go and get some white diesel for a pickup that had been in a building for a couple of months and just been driven in and out, only drums i have have all had red in them,put £25s worth of white in on top of about a pint of red in the bottom of drum and with a sight test i would of said it was 99% right with no trace of the red,

• Like 1

They allow a very small percentage of red if you're dipped, we had a visit after they found a trace when we were dipped and they said it's because the tanker has some red left in the pipe as it changes to white (we have red and white tanks). Apparently it's happened to a lot of people so I would hate to be the fuel company. ?

At first I didn't really mind if red changed to claiming it back instead but the more I think about it red diesel seems a much simpler system to enforce.

• Like 2

I’m just going to put this here:

Red diesel

While fuel costs and were largely left alone, the Chancellor did announce that he was ending tax relief on “red” diesel for most sectors, saying its users were “some of the biggest contributors to our air quality problem”.

The current system allows some businesses who operate “off-road” vehicles (such as construction firms) to pay far less duty than on regular diesel. From 2023 this rebate will be removed for most sectors, although agriculture, horticulture, pisciculture, forestry and rail will continue to be eligible for duty relief.

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Red diesel

While fuel costs and were largely left alone, the Chancellor did announce that he was ending tax relief on “red” diesel for most sectors, saying its users were “some of the biggest contributors to our air quality problem”.

Which is a logical development  and why petrol engined chippers may become more viable, having a lower capital cost and the difference in fuel cost will be less. Longevity of engines may be an issue though.

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The current system allows some businesses who operate “off-road” vehicles (such as construction firms) to pay far less duty than on regular diesel. From 2023 this rebate will be removed for most sectors, although agriculture, horticulture, pisciculture, forestry and rail will continue to be eligible for duty relief.

Also domestic heating will be excluded and therein lies the problem, whilst there are few domestic properties that use pressure jet  burners anyone that does will be able to have red delivered.

As I think we established horticulture includes work in domestic gardens (and I wonder if the current  position statement on allowing that roadside hedges and trees can be worked with agricultural tractors using red diesel will stay) we will have the problem that if you take your diesel powered machine to work at a commercial premises then you may not use red.