Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

Well, round here our council has declared a 'climate emergency'. However, if you ask them what it means they can't tell you and if you push them they get stroppy and refuse to answer unless you submit a FOI. They have been having climate meetings for about 10 years by the looks of what I can find out, but they've not produced anything other than extra CO2 from all the meetings.

With regard to the rubbish. I think theory and practice of what councils do is far removed. Ours insists on some separation but then paper is put in an open plastic sack and has to be put out the night before. So, in a fairly wet part of the country all the nice paper is often soaking wet so I assume is not reused.

They have 'invested' a great deal in nice shiny collection vehicles at great cost to the tax payer. However, they are too big for many roads so insist people drive the recycling to collection points and drive there again to pick up the containers. So, that's 100 short journeys they expect people to make which will be great for the environment. 🙄

Interesting to read the comments on the amount left after incinerating. Our council proudly boasts nothing goes to landfill. I assume they simply ignore the ash that's left.

I'm not sure our local government will adapt, it'll just find more wool to pull over people's eyes.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, difflock said:

OSM

Seeing as I worked within local government and persistently queried where our obviously polluted blue bin waste, never mind the polluted "colour segregated" glass went and was always rebuffed.

etc etc

The uncaring idiots were running the aylsum and costing the ratepayers and the Enivironment a fortune in hard cash.

Like trucking heavy wet green waste miles to a composting facility when they had acres of ground nearby, a closed "dump" where it could simply have spread to decay naturally and give nature a helping hand.

The waste involved in handling our waste drove me to mental despair, quite seriously.

Never mind the seriously frivilious expenditure of the landfill tax cash-back from the Government, on stupid, ill considered short term community/vanity projects.

Marcus

It seems to me that local government  attracts a lot of people looking for security and avoiding working but that's another matter.

As to green waste; I think that too came as a result of someone in a LA realising that  while there was no mandate to collect it  once it was collected and sent to a composting facility it counted as recycling and in one hit put the recycling percentage up.

As I have mentioned here before I think, once collected,  green waste would be better used by fixing the carbon in it  rather than composing it and returning the carbon to the atmosphere

• Like 2

Supposedly to be new regs coming in  future that make the manufacturer pay 100% recycling cost.

WASTE-MANAGEMENT-WORLD.COM

Under a new UK government strategy Businesses and manufacturers will pay the full cost of recycling or disposing...

• Like 1

Yes a properly regulated market can but as I said government  takes a while to adapt whereas there/s always somone looking for a wrinkle to make some easy money without concern for the consequences for others.

The only proper regulation of a market is what comes from within the market. It’s the sadly more prevalent regulation of markets (interfering) by outsiders like government that fvcks stuff up and makes people erroneously blame capitalism.

30 minutes ago, AHPP said:

The only proper regulation of a market is what comes from within the market. It’s the sadly more prevalent regulation of markets (interfering) by outsiders like government that fvcks stuff up and makes people erroneously blame capitalism.

This is patently not so, without regulation we would have far more pollution, not to mention slavery and other abuses of workers.

• Like 4

It seems to me that local government  attracts a lot of people looking for security and avoiding working but that's another matter.

As to green waste; I think that too came as a result of someone in a LA realising that  while there was no mandate to collect it  once it was collected and sent to a composting facility it counted as recycling and in one hit put the recycling percentage up.

As I have mentioned here before I think, once collected,  green waste would be better used by fixing the carbon in it  rather than composing it and returning the carbon to the atmosphere
This is interesting, not heard of this idea before. How do you fix the carbon in green waste? And how do you stop it from composting itself?

This is patently not so, without regulation we would have far more pollution, not to mention slavery and other abuses of workers.

As opposed to the slavery and other abuses that governments inflict on workers? Tax freedom day fell on the 30th May last year. Until the 29th May inclusive, UK workers worked to pay taxes only. Half the year, they worked for the state.
And governments are the worst polluters. When was the last time you shot depleted uranium at your neighbours?
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHPP said:

And governments are the worst polluters. When was the last time you shot depleted uranium at your neighbours?

non sequitur

anyway what makes you think I think current government in UK is any good at regulation, which is what we were discussing. In fact everything points to  that growth in wealth disparity since 1970 is going the way to favour people with wealth aspirations by removing resources from regulators.

11 minutes ago, sime42 said:

How do you fix the carbon in green waste? And how do you stop it from composting itself?

By pyrolysing it. Fixed carbon in woody waste is about 15% of the dry matter in woody waste, less in non lignin containing stuff. At lower temperatures there is more yield but the tars in the char are less recalcitrant but still fairly long lasting.

The term coined for using this char to store carbon in the soil long term, by a late ex-pat, Peter Read, is biochar.

The challenge is to make this biochar from high moisture content green waste and utilise the heat in the process.

• Like 3