Climate change anyone?

the village idiot

@ Big J which is good as high temperature will destroy the contaminants, one person said to me " but it says its recycleable on the carton"   i replied " it has to say that - so they can sell it!" Tetra packs should be banned really.  Go back to pulp paper n board, glass, tin and hessian or coconut packing.   K

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@ Big J which is good as high temperature will destroy the contaminants, one person said to me " but it says its recycleable on the carton"   i replied " it has to say that - so they can sell it!" Tetra packs should be banned really.  Go back to pulp paper n board, glass, tin and hessian or coconut packing.   K

Agreed. Unfortunately we don't have much of a reuse culture here. In Germany, most liquids are sold in bottles with a deposit payable at the point of sale. You get it back when you take it back and it's just the done thing. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

@KhrissI tend to feel that incinerating is better than land fill but what is incinerating doing to the atmosphere ? , if anything ?

Hi Temp burning will break down even PCB s (  electrical coolant for transformers) which are the most toxic chemical known. Plastics are Hydrogen, Chlorine  and carbon molecules . So they  break down to water and soot. Nothing  IS 100% safe tho and its still an energy conversion. But Germans have been burning waste fr decades. Wheras we just landfilled it  ( and polluted watercourses) K

Edited by Khriss
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Hi Temp burning will break down even PCB s (  electrical coolant for transformers) which are the most toxic chemical known. Plastics are Hydrogen, Chlorine  and carbon molecules . So they  break down to water and soot. Nothing  IS 100% safe tho and its still an energy conversion. But Germans have been burning waste fr decades. Wheras we just landfilled it  ( and polluted watercourses) K

trouble is incinerating unsorted municipal waste still leaves 30% of the mass as ash which has to be landfilled. Mind burning plastics in a properly regulated incinerator to steam plant for generating electricity seems more sensible than producing poor quality recycled paraphernalia like boardwalks and fencing  which will be a future disposal problem, or sending them halfway around the word to be thrown in the sea.

All the time we burn oil for transport why begrudge the small fraction used for plastics production? It is  foreseeing the consequences of plastics use that's the problem,

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

trouble is incinerating unsorted municipal waste still leaves 30% of the mass as ash which has to be landfilled. Mind burning plastics in a properly regulated incinerator to steam plant for generating electricity seems more sensible than producing poor quality recycled paraphernalia like boardwalks and fencing  which will be a future disposal problem, or sending them halfway around the word to be thrown in the sea.

All the time we burn oil for transport why begrudge the small fraction used for plastics production? It is  foreseeing the consequences of plastics use that's the problem,

We get very, very little ash from our fire. I empty about 15-18 litres of ash per month from it with an average of 3 cube of firewood and all the waste put through it. 

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

We get very, very little ash from our fire. I empty about 15-18 litres of ash per month from it with an average of 3 cube of firewood and all the waste put through it. 

I did say unsorted municipal waste and you had implied that you had sorted yours into combustibles.

Mind your virgin wood ash is now contaminated with whatever minor chemicals went into your combustibles and as your woodburner was not designed to retain all the massflow for a couple of seconds at above 1200C  and then exhausting them through a wet scrubber AND/OR an electrostatic precipitator a number of nasties could have been emitted, which a properly managed incinerator would have trapped.