Today's milling

Rough Hewn

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Valentines day was two days ago Les.

lol I was thinking something along those lines too Andy but kept it to myself, I’m still not up to speed  with all this LGTBQIA plus bollocks eh. I’ll take the compliment be it for me or the wood 🤣

Edited by Johnsond
  • Haha 3

Not all today by any means - been playing with the Logosol on wet days and pretty happy - we had some crappy spruce and larch which we ran through to get a feel for things.

A couple of weeks ago a neighbour had what he thought was a small straight oak windblown - when we cleared the ivy away we found it burred - when we ran it through the mill we found it was not oak but think it is elm - it had some figure and burr in it so he is pretty pleased to get it.

Another wet day today so we ran through some fairly poor oak - when we cut into it found some reasonable figure but a lot of faults - anyway we got some good stuff out of it including enough slabs to make a false lintel for a house renovation.

need to get a shed up for timber dryingIMG_20240221_094808_132.thumb.jpg.0296c53cf530a8714d7d571ca4c570c1.jpgIMG_20240221_094820_143.thumb.jpg.003dc42465f3e12f8211bfb97b3555db.jpgIMG_20240221_113636_558.thumb.jpg.e116d1ba0cadc7ee34118d084e987260.jpgIMG_20240221_113649_653.thumb.jpg.9641d6d65899b4fa90ce87633bf2b0a3.jpg

IMG_20240221_124731_797.jpg

IMG_20240221_124734_770.jpg

IMG_20240221_124831_382.jpg

IMG_20240221_131358_540.jpg

IMG_20240221_143127_234.jpg

IMG_20240215_125043_624.jpg

IMG_20240215_125107_213.jpg

IMG_20240215_125135_540.jpg

• Like 7

Finally got this big bastard roughed down with the 881 and then squared off on the mill. I was just planning to have a cant for posts, etc but there turned out to be some nice figuring. 

Found a use for the top already- an order for stair treads. £250 for a 60mm slice off the top. That pays for dragging the backhoe to site to get it loaded!

need to get myself a front quick hitch for that backhoe, would make it so much more useful to me. 

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg

IMG_3953.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, doobin said:

Finally got this big bastard roughed down with the 881 and then squared off on the mill. I was just planning to have a cant for posts, etc but there turned out to be some nice figuring. 

Found a use for the top already- an order for stair treads. £250 for a 60mm slice off the top. That pays for dragging the backhoe to site to get it loaded!

need to get myself a front quick hitch for that backhoe, would make it so much more useful to me. 

IMG_3221.jpeg

IMG_3223.jpeg

IMG_3953.jpeg

Nice looking board, £250 is pretty cheap even if it is green. 

He won't get many treads from one board, hopefully he will be back for one or 2 more 😀

I think I used 3 boards from a similar size trunk I milled to make my stair treads. Milled at 75mm for a finished thickness of 50mm with an 8mm steel plate under each one. Single stringer so needed to be stiff and I put hidden cantilevers into the treads to put into the wall.  Think I air dried mine for 6 years in the barn. pick sticked and weighed down. PVA on the ends and still got some wicked movement in the boards

Oak can be a cruel old mistress at times ..........

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

I would like to know what you class as expensive!

If you were buying that board at WL West or English Woodlands both near Doobin and myself, a board like that air dried for 2 years would be around £400 plus vat with that character in it. Maybe 250 is fair all round if he's got to kiln it or wait a fair while to use it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I would like to know what you class as expensive!

Maybe there is a fair regional difference in pricing on boards. Last one I bought was 16ft long about 800 wide I think and 65mm thick.  that cost me about 375 inc vat at Wests if I remember correctly.  

3 minutes ago, lux said:

Maybe there is a fair regional difference in pricing on boards. Last one I bought was 16ft long about 800 wide I think and 65mm thick.  that cost me about 375 inc vat at Wests if I remember correctly.  

Was just thinking it would be good to know the dimensions of that board and guessed it might be 4 or 5 cubic feet at most? So £250 for green timber doesn’t seem cheap to me. Maybe the board is bigger than it looks?

Andrew

29 minutes ago, ucoulddoit said:

Was just thinking it would be good to know the dimensions of that board and guessed it might be 4 or 5 cubic feet at most? So £250 for green timber doesn’t seem cheap to me. Maybe the board is bigger than it looks?

Andrew

Not just the size of the board.  Also the grade of it.  It’s certainly a nice board in his picture.  I suspect it will move a fair bit around some of those features and require some serious thicknessing to flatten out when dry but that’s another matter.  
I’m sure Doobin will share some dimensions.  Fair size stick on the trailer in his picture.  No chance you’d buy it at that price in the mills around our neck of the woods, albeit they don’t sell green boards as far as I know.