Today's milling

Rough Hewn

Since switching the digger to steel tracks it's begun to trash the trailer ramp. It's a tight fit and there's give in the rubber tracks, but the steels put all the weigh of the digger onto the edges of the ramp.

So it's either buy a wider trailer (and wait ages and pay silly money for new or deal with idiots thinking they have a secondhand trailer made of solid gold). Or it's a quick bodge job.

With a bit of jiggery pokery I got the side angles easily. The 'meet the ground' angle was a bit trickier but by marking it, placing the mill where I wanted it to finish and zeroing the DRO, I was able to wind the toe jack up to make it approximately work, leaving a bit more length for the blade to lead in. Good enough anyhow.

I'll see how this works. I've owned the trailer from new, it's a great trailer, and it's not really any hassle to use these extra supports when loading the big digger- just chuck them in underneath before you close the ramp.

It's also a bit more pleasant at the break-over, as there's no steel on steel any more.

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

IMG_2617.jpeg

IMG_2620.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

On 18/08/2023 at 07:44, doobin said:

How did you get on?

right then, with what i've tried so far the best is defo TFR (traffic film remover)

if you get decent concentrate stuff too it goes seriously far compared to screen wash

you do some cuts using screen wash 50/50 and blade starts to get black, switch over to TFR and the first cut all the black crap wipes straight off as the blades enters the log

so that's what i'll be using till i find something better, if i do

Edited by Stihl123
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

right then, with what i've tried so far the best is defo TFR (traffic film remover)

if you get decent concentrate stuff too it goes seriously far compared to screen wash

you do some cuts using screen wash 50/50 and blade starts to get black, switch over to TFR and the first cut all the black crap wipes straight off as the blades enters the log

What concentration of tfr? Caustic? What brand?

5 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

What concentration of tfr? Caustic? What brand?

15 hours ago, doobin said:

This afternoon I milled 500 inch square ash stakes for a local wicker coffin manufacturer. LogBullet making life seriously easy. The DRO also proved useful for such a repetitive job. 

IMG_2720.jpeg

IMG_2737.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

I might have missed it in a previous post but the DRO is something I’d like to put on my130, was that a woodlands kit or something you put together yourself. Any pics etc ??

thanks